Chapter 41- Yamíl

I hate liars- Jane

  The wedding is a good thing. I think the planning and preparation is making Osas more happy than the thought of her sister's getting married. But the bad part is that she'll miss school for two days. Yet another member of our recently found squad absent.

Thankfully Faith was able to convince Travis to come to school today, I think he might be regretting it though, what with all the I'm so sorry about your father and please stay strong he was getting. One time he almost groaned at the person asking.

"My mum's getting the Lagos treatment back at home," he tells me and Umar as we make our way to the Gym.

"From your aunt? Isn't she supposed to be at the hospital?" Jibril tilts his head.

"She should be but before I left home my aunt was drilling her about Lagosians and how she should keep her money. When she landed she got 3 grands stolen from her," he reveals.

"Dollars or Naira?" I ask before proceeding to shout Jesus when he says Dollars. Jibril murmurs something about Nigerians never failing to represent as we enter the gym.

"Esss!"Faith screams the moment we step in. She's standing in front of the bleachers, Nora and Ayo flaking both sides of her while Osas sat a little farther scrolling through her phone.

"Waddup?" Travis hollers back. He makes his way to them and shakes each of them dramatically. When he gets to Osas he pokes her head so she's forced to look up.

"Better thank God I looked up before speaking if not..." She trails off, shaking her head dramatically.

"Abeggi," Travis calls her bluff, poking her once again. Of course, Osas stays seated, although I have a feeling she'll be coming for Travis later on.

"What are you doing?" I ask, peering down at her phone.

"I'm talking to Tiwa. She followed mummy to go pick my gown," she explains. I signal for her to scoot over before I sit next to her. She hands me the phone and I examine the gown. It's bright yellow and it's a mermaid gown. It's quite simple with very little sequins, I think it'll be great on her.

"You think?" She asks, apparently I said that aloud.

"I know," I amend. "Are you anxious?"

"A bit. I'm going to meet him you know? Even if he doesn't want to see me. I'll see him," she admits. I look ahead and find the class in chaos, our gym teacher is absent today so everyone's just doing whatever, all in their own blissful world.

"Whatever happens, always remember that you don't owe him anything."

"I know. I just...what if I break down and start crying?"

"I'm pretty sure you won't," I huff. The door opens and Umar walks in with Alex and Ara trailing behind. I glance at Osas and sure enough, her countenance has changed.

"You're not letting it go?" I ask with a heavy sigh. Ara may not be my number one fan but I'd still love to go back to the time when they were in talking terms.

"There's nothing to let go. I've got bigger things to worry about," she says mostly to herself, looking away.

"It'll be fine," I smile at her. I raise my head and catch Faith slapping both Jibril and Travis's head simultaneously. We'll all be fine.

••••

   I ditch after school lessons once again. Not to worry, it's Civic this time. As I stroll down the street towards home, whistling my way around the kiosks and poorly parked bikes I realize just how much of this I'll miss when I graduate. I don't like to think too much about the other part of graduation, I focus on the fact that I'll be going to university. I'll be a bigger boy, you get? But I'll also have to leave home, leave my state, leave my country. And that sounds all chill until you take into account the things I'll be leaving behind.

No more suya, I mean I've tasted their barbeque, nobody does it better than these Hausa men. No more crazy Lagos drivers, they made my day every morning. No more crazy bus conductors, that make me share change with somebody I've never met before. The country might be dead but the people definitely aren't.

I'll be leaving my sister. I think that'll be the hardest thing for me to do. She's still too young, what if some lost boy starts disturbing her? I won't be able to beat them up even if I wanted to. And let's not get started with my friends. Especially the ones I made this year, I haven't spent enough time with them yet.

I should've just spoken to them earlier. When there was still time.

I enter my street and every step takes me closer to my house and the closer I get, the more I realize we've got a guest. Aunt Diane's car is parked outside. I bite back my smile as I dash towards the house. I could tell her about my newly found perspective, she'd definitely have something to say. I open the gate quietly and step inside, deciding to give my aunt and mum a good scare. But the shouts I hear give me the scare first.

"...Diane just stop! You can't be doing this right now!" Mum cries. What's going on?

"Jane that was what we agreed on. I think it's time we told him-"

"You're ungrateful! I knew this would happen dammit!" I hear a loud crash soon after.

"I'm not ungrateful I just want to do it before it's too late," Aunt Diane defends.

"What do you mean before it's too late?" Mum hisses.

"Before he grows to completely hate me!"

"Well that wouldn't be that bad, would it?"

"He's my son Jane! He's my son," aunt Diane's voice grows weaker at every syllable.

"Don't ever call him that. Yamíl is my son and my son alone." My mother's voice is almost unrecognizable. But wait.

She's not my mother?