Chapter 16- Travis

Stop seeing me– Faith

I had my doubts about this whole cinema thing, I mean it's a school night, but the moment I see my friends walking towards in front of the theater I know it was the best decision. Jibril is the first to get to me, he looks as expensive as ever but not everyone will realize that. His Ralph Lauren shirt looks just as normal as everyone else's. His hair looks a bit wet, like he was just getting out of the shower. If I was a girl, this would be the part where I say:

Ohmygosh he looks so friggin hotttt!!!

But I'm not so I'll stick with: he looks cool.

"Dude wassup!" He hollers at me. I accept his hand shake, safely shifting away a bit. I consider myself talk at 5'8" but Jibril makes me feel painfully short.

"I didn't know you were coming," Yamíl says. At first I think he's talking to me but then I realize he's looking at Osas. For the first time I can recall, Osas looks a bit mortified.

"Ah, I didn't know it was a group outing," she explains, tucking a lose strand of her braids behind her ear. Is Osas nervous? What happened between these two?

"Let's go inside nau, the weather's too cold," I insist, rubbing my hands against my arms. Jibril gives me a look that has 'nmehhh' written over it.

"Abeg rest, if you like give me your own hoodie," I snap at him.

"I only share with girls please," he laughs at his own joke. Faith grabs her phone and quickly motions for us to gather around. Her iPhone makes my skin look shinier than ever, even though it usually is. The group photo is great because we're all smiling, and it's not forced smiles.

"Alright we can go in now," Faith announces. I start to enter the building when Osas throws her grey hoodie at me.

"Are you sure?" I ask her for formality. I'm going to wear it either way.

"Yes, you're already having goosebumps," she smiles at me. Faith and Jibril best me and enter the building first. Which also means they get to enter the theater first. Osas and Yamíl volunteer to get the popcorn but I wonder if they're just looking for some time alone...did I miss something here?

"Travis sit down before they kick you out of here," Faith hisses at me. I look down at her and poke her nose.

"Ow, what was that for?" She whines.

"I don't even know, your nose is just very cute," I say off handedly. She doesn't take the compliment well though because she continues frowning. On her right, Jibril shifts.

"I hope the movie isn't starting soon, Yamíl just texted me to say that the line is very long and it might take a while," he explains.

"It's supposed to start in 10 minutes. What are we watching again?" I inquire. Faith gives me a bewildered look.

"Ode, how will you come without knowing what you're watching?"

"Please just answer my question, no need for unnecessary insults," I warn her, imitating her Igbo accent.

"Are you trying to mimic me?" She asks, looking so much like a meme.