18: [gohst] Part One

Chapter Theme Song: "Ultraviolence" by Lana Del Rey

The acrid aroma of fresh blood fills Carmine's nostrils the minute she opens the front door.

Mmmm. What a smell to come home to!

"How was work?" Red calls from the kitchen between hacking and chopping sounds.

"Surprisingly tiring but also quite fun." Carmine sets her clothes and bag down on the table before walking towards the kitchen. "I met a nice girl named Nyla. She showed me the ropes and was really nice about it."

"That's...good. You're a quick learner. Always have been. I have no doubt you'll be the best waitress there in no time." Red looks up from the pig head she's butchering and gives Carmine a big smile with her blood-splattered lips.

"Mother, you have blood all over your face."

"It's okay Carmine, I don't mind. Can you hand me a tea towel please?"

Carmine reaches for a clean tea towel from the drawer and hands it to her mother who starts dabbing at the corners of her eyes with it. "It's funny. The hotel is actually the one where prom was held."

"Really?" Red arches her eyebrows. "How did you land a job at such a fancy place?"

"I actually sort of met someone who works at the hotel. I helped him out with a personal problem so he owed me a favour. To return the favour, I asked him to get me a job there."

"A personal favour?"

Obviously mother does not do well with deliberate vagueness. But she would also be horrified if I told her what really happened. Horrified and angry.

"His ex-girlfriend was harassing him on the street so I stepped in and helped him get rid of her."

"I see." Red begins digging into the pig's eye sockets, scooping out the eyeballs and freeing them with a strong tug.

"Mother, don't look at me like that. It wasn't anything-"

"It's okay Carmine. You're an adult now. You can make your own choices."

"There is nothing going on between us."

Lie. Big lie.

Red starts slowly slicing through the pig's ears, hacking through spongy cartilage. "That's good." Once cut through, she places the bloody ear in a large bowl of water. "You should go sleep dear. You look tired. I'll call you when lunch is ready. Pickled pig ears and roasted pig head. Your favourite."

"Thanks mother." Carmine hops up the stairs and kicking off her shoes, flops onto her bed.

I won't disappoint Sebastian. I'll show him. I'll show everyone that I can work harder and perform better than anyone at that hotel.

Carmine unties her hair from its high ponytail and throws the hair tie on her vanity. She rubs her dry eyes and tries in vain to blink some moisture into them. She curls into a fetal position and snuggles under her quilted blanket.Just as her mind finally calms down and she is about to drift off, the doorbell rings.

No one ever visits the Redoza's.

Clacking of shoes. A series of demure murmurs. Red's footsteps thumping up the stairs.

Carmine's door swings open.

"It's the police. A Detective Swanson wants a word with you."

"Hrmm?"

"Get up! Carmine! There's a detective downstairs," Red hisses, walking over to her daughter's bed and whipping off the covers. "He wants to ask you some questions."