[4th Chapter: Simpler times...]

I lean on the window of the corner store, frowning at the otherline. "And what makes you think that?" Yuta asks, in a very calm and contented tone. "Don't spirits and yokai act on their rumours...? And not their actual morals? Essentially, we're killing innocent lives that are trying to stay alive.. And if their name isn't spread across towns and cities, they'll eventually curl up and disappear?" I gripped onto my phone. I know it's essential to kill Apparitions... but why though? Weren't they also human like me at some point? And now... they're put into a position they can't turn away from... It's sad...

"[Reader]." He responds harsh and coldly. "The reason we do what we do... is because they encourage the impossible... Apparitions shouldn't exist, and they threaten everything and everyone that roams this very earth." He sighs. "Understand that I am not pleased with how our world operates... but the borderline of life and death rests on our shoulders, the Seimei Clan." I look up to the stars that now started to shine in the sky.

"It's just hard to grasp the fact that- at some point... those apparitions were once human... I guess it's just a hard pill to swallow...at that fact..." Yuta- on the other line, just stares at the sky as he walks to his car. "I know sis, but just get home soon okay? I'll be out for a few days... There's a place in Kyoto that I need to take care of." He says. "I'll see you in a month or so. Goodnight, [Nickname]..." He then hangs up.

 I smiled a little at the nickname that he used to use on me when we were kids... it's nice... in a way- but I decided to press on, cause in my current state- I look like I murdered a living human being... I looked at my reflection in the window. I now have messy hair, my uniform is all bloodied and slight blood splatters on my face. That's when I noticed something strange in my pocket...? I took out the piece of black paper, and pulled it out for me to inspect...

I took it out- and before I could look at it closely, the paper crane flew out of my grasp and whisked itself into the air, hovering above me. The only thing allowing me to see it clearly was the street lamp, illuminating above me and the strange piece of paper. I took my katana out and slashed it to pieces... when that happened, the shredded paper ignited into a black flame, and above me, a Tsueshiro appeared before me! It was black, with a red swirl in the middle. How long has that been in my pocket?! The Tsueshiro circled around me, before nudging itself to my cheek. It's not harmless at all! But it's a part of an apparition... yet- for some reason... its presence feels familiar, comforting for that matter... So I'll let it hover around me for a bit... I sighed deeply while looking at the time on my phone.

"6 pm... crap... I should be getting home." I looked at the wisp hovering around me enthusiastically. "I guess you can tag along as well..." I looked at it, with hesitant eyes. Before looking at the street names, trying to figure out where I was. "Dotonbori? Huh... I guess I better start walking." I picked up my pace as I walked away from the alleyway and corner shop.

[After some walking...]

I finally arrived home.