Chapter 7. An Unexpected Revelation.

He's Got No Love by The Searchers (1965)
https://youtu.be/_M8Pt-H08Kw

be/_M8Pt-H08Kw

Clifton's POV.

As soon as Xander nodded his head I knew that I had won him over.

Over the next few days there were clear signs that his attitude towards me had softened. I guessed he was still sizing me up. He knew that I had apologised to Trevor, and to Dickie, in the changing rooms in front of the rest of the team before a training game and I just assumed he was biding his time and seeing if I was trustworthy enough to be his friend.

Although I had been told I was playing in the Reserve XV until I was match fit I knew the real reason was Dickie wanting to show me he was in charge.

There was a definite change in Trevor's attitude towards me during training sessions. Other members of the squad were being more friendly too, especially Leo, but anywhere else though, Trevor was just as hostile to me, and to Xander, as he had been on the first day. I surmised that he was on strict instructions from Dickie to behave himself as far as contact within the team was concerned.

During the time Xander and I spent alone together in our room we, unusually, never seemed to talk about personal things. After doing any project work, Xander would nearly always pick up his guitar and leave the room, saying he was just going to practice and would be back later.

He seemed happy enough being in my company, although he rarely smiled. He was far friendlier than he had been, but I had still been unable to learn very much more about him. He seemed sad, deep down within him. It was as if he didn't know how to be friends. He seemed incapable of showing emotion and I doubt if he'd ever experienced, or knew how to love. Even though he had never confirmed whether he was gay or not, it didn't really matter as I could tell from the way that he looked at me that he was. There was nothing wrong with my Gaydar.

He was different from any other boy I had ever met. He wasn't the type of boy that would usually catch my eye either. I had always been drawn towards the handsome, invariably straight, sporty guys with a six pack. It had always been about the look rather than the person, and it had been my downfall as I always fancied the wrong guys.

Nevertheless I still judged Xander to be good looking and very cute. Whilst he was definitely not my ideal type as far as physique or looks went, there was something about him that I found 'interesting', mentally as well as sexually, and for some unexplained reason I was desperate for him to like me back.

I was in uncharted territory as far as his type was concerned.

It wasn't just his cute Asian features that intrigued me. Whenever he was being mocked and ridiculed, an aura seemed to surround him with a net of positive energy, giving him a serenity that was so commanding and impressive.

He was able to easily rise above any confrontation and not react to it. I was dying to know how he managed to control his anger, as that was something that I often struggled with.