Chapter 41. A New Admirer.

SHAWN MENDES vs ONE DIRECTION Mashup!!
ft. Sam Tsui & Alexander Stewart. (2017)
https://youtu.be/9kfXJY8X1R0

be/9kfXJY8X1R0

Xander's POV.

It had just turned 2pm and it was less than an hour before Jock's concert was due to start. I had butterflies in my stomach and was beginning to feel more anxious as the minutes ticked by. I wasn't usually that nervous about performing, even singing the duet with Mervyn wasn't really worrying me. I had been unsettled by a text at lunchtime.

It was from my father saying that he was on his way with Angela and my baby brother, Dai. Yes! Dad had been able to persuade Angela to give him his name, David, in Welsh and I am sure that as Dai was also a Chinese name that was why Angela had agreed to it.

It wasn't the fact that Dad was coming that had thrown me. It was the fact that he was bringing Angela. I knew what would happen. Other boys would see her and think she was my mother....., and for some reason that bothered me. My mother was Thai, and Angela was Chinese. There was a big difference but I thought, rightly or wrongly, that most boys wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I could tell Cliff was nervous too, even though he was putting on a brave face. His mother and father had arrived at noon and had been disappointed that they were not allowed to take us both out to lunch, although once the concert was over they would be allowed to take us out for a meal in one of the local villages.

I told Cliff to cover for me and, if anyone asked where I was, he was to tell them I had just gone to get some air for ten minutes.

I walked over to the car park area where Roland and Jacob were on car park duty with four other boys, marshalling the visitor's cars, and directing the occupants to the Assembly Hall.

"Has my dad arrived?" I asked Roland as he was directing a Range Rover over to the courtyard.

"Not seen him Xander. Sorry. Plenty of black beamers but none with a guy, a Chinese woman, and a baby. Jacob said he would text me if he saw them and so far I've heard nothing."

"Okay.... Thanks Roly," I said, dejectedly. "He's still got over 40 minutes to get here but I hope he doesn't cut it too fine."

Roland laid an arm across my shoulders and gave me a reassuring hug. "I know there's no point in saying don't worry, as I know you can't help it, but as soon as either Jacob or I see them we will look after them for you."

I thanked him again and went back to the Music Wing where all the performers were congregating and going through last minute preparations and rehearsals.

The concert opened promptly at 3pm and the first hour showcased the traditional side of the school's music capabilities with the school brass band playing a selection of interesting and amusing music. That was followed by the school choir singing a variety of classics, which culminated in a joint effort by the school band and the choir with 'The Heavens are Telling from Franz Joseph Haydn's Oratorio The Creation' with Percy, Nessie's assistant on the school organ and Nessie conducting them all to finish the first half.