Chapter 21. Something's In The Air.

Something's In The Air - Thunderclap Newman (1969)
https://youtu.be/qJae3Q2l-BY

be/qJae3Q2l-BY

Xander's POV.

A letter arrived from my grandparents. I could tell it was from them by the handwriting and I handed it to Cliff. "I can't bear to open it..... You do it..., please. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that they say yes!"

I had telephoned them and had left a message on their answering machine asking if it was alright if I invited a friend from school to stay for the first part of the week of half term. I had also asked if I could go and stay at his parent's house for the last part and it hadn't surprised me that they had written as they didn't ever call me on my mobile.

Cliff chuckled as he took the letter from me. "Some Medium you are! You can talk to the dead but can't tell what's inside a letter."

"I'm a Medium not a Psychic." I answered brusquely. "There's a big difference."

"I think you need to Google what a Psychic is before you continue to deny it." Cliff threw back at me as he slit the envelope open. "Mediumship is just one of a Psychic's abilities. Being able to channel a healing energy with just your bare hands is another.... Okay...! Maybe some people might class that as a pseudo-scientific stunt and dismiss it out of hand but I can't. I will never forget how you made all that pain go away just by touching me."

"I don't want to sound pretentious and call myself something that I don't know too much about." I answered, getting impatient for him to divulge the contents of my letter.

"You mean..., you've not Googled anything about it?"

"No I haven't. I have no need for a name or classification for these so-called gifts I've been given.... Are you going to read my letter out or what?" I asked belligerently."

"Keep your hair on!" Cliff chastised as his eyes quickly scanned the pages. "Yup! I'm invited but they want to know my parents address and telephone number as they want to check if they are in agreement...... Blimey Xander! Not very trusting of you, are they?"

"They're just acting responsibly, that's all." I answered. "They're just making sure everything is all above board as I've never asked them anything like this before. I am quite touched that they care about my safety as much as my father wouldn't."

"Oh! Well I'd better call home and tell Mum and Dad what's happening and warn them to expect a telephone call from your grandparents. They'll find that a novelty."

"A novelty?" I questioned.

"Yeah! Somebody checking up on their kids to verify the invite is kosher." Cliff handed me the letter. "Bad news at the end though. Looks like your beloved cousins will be staying part of the time too.

Balls! I thought to myself, as I began to read the letter. Marcus and Amelia usually get palmed off there when my Aunt and Uncle are away on business. The end of the letter confirmed that their visit and ours would overlap by 3 days. I knew that they wouldn't be happy about it either and wondered what they would make of me having a friend staying over too.