Chapter 11. The Deal.

'Please Help Me I'm Falling' by The Everly Brothers (1963) https://youtu.be/xaQHzo-xMAw

be/xaQHzo-xMAw

Xander's POV.

I started to dismantle the wall as soon as I returned to the room after the last lesson of the day. Cliff had gone off to rugby practice so I knew I had plenty of time to put the room back to how it should be.

A song by the Everly Brothers, 'Please Help Me I'm Falling', played on my mind and I ended up singing it as I tidied up the room.

Once I had moved everything back I carefully displayed Cliff's personal things on his chest of drawers taking a longer look at the photograph. It was only then did I realise that Cliff had never once mentioned his twin by name.

It struck me as odd at first but then I convinced myself that it probably still hurt him to say his name. Maybe once Cliff had accepted the fact that his brother didn't blame him anymore then he would speak his name once more.

I hoped that tonight Cliff would feel able to speak freely to me about the accident so that I could begin to understand the reasons for his brother's words.

I then started to make a note of some current songs that I could play and sing for the concert Nessie had told us about. I had written down the ones that I liked from artists like Callum Scott, Adele and Ed Sheeran but wasn't sure how I could make them different or exciting.

I looked at my phone. It was almost 6pm and Cliff still hadn't returned. Dinner was at 6:15pm and just as a feeling of 'something's not right' swept over me there was a knock on the door.

I opened it to find Jacob and Roland, standing either side and supporting a bare-chested and battered looking Cliff, who was dressed in just a pair of shorts and no top.

"He can't walk unaided as he's hurt his knee," Roland advised as I moved aside to let them half carry and half walk him in. They set him down on his bed.

"That's not all he's hurt, by the look of things," I said as I looked at the dried blood in his hair on the side of his head. His nose looked bloodied too, and so did the corner of his mouth. "I can guess what happened..... Toad?"

Jacob nodded, knowing who I meant. "Not on the pitch but in the showers at the end of practice. Totally unprovoked. He and five others attacked him from behind and just started kicking and punching him to the floor."

"That's when Ginger stamped on his leg," Roland added, referring to Graham, as he handed me Cliff's bag of clothes, "but it would've been worse if Eyetie and Big Bradders hadn't waded in and stopped it."

"Someone told Dickie that he had slipped going into the showers," Jacob said as he and Roland made to exit the room, "and Clifton confirmed to him that's what happened. We've cleaned him up the best we can and it doesn't look that bad now."