Chapter 37. Nobody's Fool.

Nobody's Fool - Slade (1976)
https://youtu.be/gjrhm8K4lt8

be/gjrhm8K4lt8

Xander's POV.

I was more than apprehensive when Cliff and I went down for breakfast the next morning.

While Cliff had been in with his father the previous evening, his mother and I had sat in silence as we watched something on television. Don't ask me what it was we had watched as I didn't particularly concentrate on it.

When they reappeared, hardly anything at all was said about their 'little chat'. Cliff had just whispered 'Everything is fine.... I'll fill you in later', and then carried on with the evening as if nothing had happened.

There had still been a little tension in the air as I had entertained his parents by playing my guitar and singing, but they had genuinely seemed interested to know why I loved music from the 60's and 70's. They knew most of the songs that I sang and had even joined in on a couple of them, Mrs Stuart more reluctant than Mr Stuart to join in but she still had.

I had been so grateful when Cliff had broken up the evening at 10pm by announcing we were going to bed as I was dying to know exactly what had gone on behind that closed door. We then spent the next two hours in the room I was sleeping in talking about the conversation he had with his father.

I had been left disappointed with just a kiss and nothing else, apart from the reason why he wouldn't make out with me. I couldn't see what harm it would do but Cliff was adamant that he wouldn't bend or break his father's rules.

My disappointment soon eased and was replaced with respect that he took his father's request seriously and obeyed it. It meant that I knew I could trust him. Another tick in the box I had created for myself before I would actually surrender to any of his seduction techniques, or worked on a few of my own.

Coming out to both our parents had been successful in one way but in another Cliff's father had been worrying. The fact that he had mentioned another discussion regarding Cliff staying at the school had worried me.

I was dreading that meeting.

The smell of fresh coffee percolating was heavenly as we came down the stairs. I loved coffee first thing in the morning and drank tea, usually black, the rest of the day.

Cliff greeted his mother with a kiss on both cheeks as we walked into the kitchen. "This is nice Ma," Cliff commented as he hugged her. "I wasn't expecting you to be up already so it's a real nice surprise. Did you sleep well?"

She seemed surprised by that and kissed him back before kissing me on one cheek too. "Actually I did...., but after last night's drama I thought I should at least make an effort for Xander so he doesn't think that's how we usually behave. Besides I don't often get to see you now so I thought you would appreciate a cooked breakfast. I've got the full works if you would both like them?"