Chapter 25. Status.

I Like To Boogie - T Rex (1976)
https://youtu.be/qjRUOZNc-90

be/qjRUOZNc-90

Xander's POV.

I could see the panic in his eyes as I demanded that he clarified our relationship.

He pulled at my arms, breaking the hold that I had around his neck. "Bloody hell Xander. I was only saying that it would be nice if we could be open about our friendship. I wasn't suggesting that we actually came out. I'm happy about us being a couple but everyone knowing....? That's a big ask."

"Is it though?" I retorted. "The real Clifton told you to be yourself and I agree with him. I can see now that most of our unhappiness is caused by us both hiding the truth at home and at school. Everyone thinks I am gay at school so what difference would it make if I actually come out? I'm pretty sure Nana and Bamps will still love me and as for my Dad? Who cares what he thinks? I don't."

Cliff went and flopped face down on the bed. I sat down on the edge and rubbed his back. "You are planning on telling your parents that you are gay, aren't you? So why not go the whole hog and say I'm your boyfriend? It will take all the pressure off, won't it?"

He thumped the pillow three or four times before sitting up. "On paper it sounds the most sensible thing to do but you're forgetting one thing Xander. My Dad's homophobic and I've got no idea how he's gonna react when I produce a boyfriend looking like you."

"You mean..., he's racist too?"

Cliff stood up and paced up and down the room. "I really don't know. I know he seems okay playing rugby or golf with black guys and that...., but Asian? I've heard him making disparaging remarks and telling jokes about them in the past so that worries me how he will take the news that we're together."

"Why ask me to go home with you, then?" I asked, feeling he should have told me this before inviting me.

"I'm sorry...! I didn't think anything about that at all. I'm attracted to you because of who you are and your ethnicity had nothing to do with it. I was going to introduce you as a friend but to now say you are my boyfriend makes one helluva difference."

Did I hear right? I looked at him, questioningly, to see if he had realised what he had just said.

"What now?" Cliff asked as he saw the look I was giving him.

"What you just said...., you know, introducing me to your parents as your boyfriend..., should you not ask me first?"

"For fuck's sake Xander!" Cliff replied, sounding very exasperated. "Can we not take that as read?"

"No!" I retaliated, giving him a hard stare. "One likes to be asked, does one....., and with ardour!"

Cliff fixed a stare on me. I could tell he was trying not to laugh so I poked my tongue out at him. That did it and he threw his head back with laughter.