Prologue

One Year Earlier

One Year Earlier

I watched them push the poison into her blood, watched as it spread through her veins in search of her heart.

I watched her watch me with tears in her eyes through the glass panel, her arms strapped down and her mouth gagged shut. I watched the life slowly die from the eyes of a girl I'd spent my entire childhood with playing dress up and sneaking ice cream past our bedtime.

A single stray tear dripped down my cheek.

She was my sister. At least, I'd loved her like one. My family did, too. But as we stood on the other side of the glass panels of the room where she'd take her last breath, I realized that even with the world at her feet and her entire life ahead of her, it wasn't enough.

It wasn't enough. We weren't enough.

And now, as she lived her last moments surrounded by an entire nation who hated her, I couldn't help feeling like I wasn't enough.

Enough to stop her. Enough to help her. Enough to be there for her before all...this happened.

Because as her eyes fluttered close for the last time, and her chest shallowed to a slow stop, she wasn't dying as Isabella. Gorgeous, full of life Isabella. My best friend Isabella.

No. She was dying as the Seraphina Slayer.

The girl who took the life of innocents. And didn't think twice to do it.

♡♡♡