Chapter 19

"What's going on with you and Rousseau?"

My head twisted over to the opposite end of the plush couch. Narrowed grey eyes and taut shoulders met my gaze before I shifted back to the brightly lit TV running through an episode of Modern Family.

The dark shadows of the living room provided me the safety of an invisibility cloak; Nate couldn't see the pink dusting across my cheeks.

The fire crackled within the fireplace, filling the room with its warmth and the sounds of the occasional ember leaping out from the log.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Are you sure? Because one of the guys left their charger in his locker and when he went back to get it, he said he saw you two taking shots in the rink."

I choked down a startled WHAT? and wrangled my shoulders in a half-hearted shrug.

"He got into it with his dad, so, I helped him calm down with that puck challenge I used to do with you."

He hummed, unconvinced and I could feel the heat of his gaze digging a hole through the side of my face. A thoughtful second passed, before his stony demeanour softened a fraction.

"You have to be careful, Leia. We can't afford any slip ups, especially with all the shit going on back home. I think it's great that you're making new friends, but we can't let our guards down. Not even for the people we think we can trust."

The double meaning of his last sentence rang loud and clear in the space between us and I hugged my knees into my chest, as if it could protect me from the sting of his words.

"Plus, you're the Asrean Princess. Is it really a good idea to get involved with the son of an American governor?"

My whipped to the side in surprise. "His dad is the governor?"

The stretch of skin between his brows creased with a frown.

"Uh...yeah? I thought you knew considering you were helping him and whatnot."

"I'm not nosy, unlike you. It's none of my business who his dad is."

He gave me a look of disbelief. "Right. But back to my point, it won't look good on the Crown if you involve yourself with someone who has relations to an American political figure. Alliances are one thing but with the re-elections coming up, it puts too much spotlight on our family. We're only here until the situation in Asrea dies down."

I rolled my eyes at the TV. "You're being overdramatic, Nate. He's only a friend. I've barely known the guy for more than a month. Keep your wits about you, would you? I'm not about to marry him or something."

A displeased grunt and then weighted silence, like was building up to something while figuring out how to do it without scaring me off.

"Why didn't you tell me about these?" he started, an edge to his voice.