Chapter 42

"What about this?" I asked, holding up a champagne glass set

Edrian shook his head. "My mom already has hundreds of those."

"Okay," I drawled, and placed it back down, only to snag onto a gorgeous China bowl piece off to the right. "What about this? It's really pretty."

Edrian shook his head again and I sighed.

"We're never going to find anything like this!" I said, throwing my hands up in the air after placing the bowl back where I found it. He chuckled and laced one of my hands with his to pull me forward.

"I told you that you don't have to buy her anything. It's just a small gathering for us. It's not even a party."

"Yeah, but she's your mom and its NewChristmasYear! I have to buy something for everyone. If not, what kind of a person am I?" I huffed and blew a flyaway hair out of my face.

Edrian let out a soft laugh and tucked the loose tendril behind my ear, his finger delicate against my skin. A flutter overtook my stomach at his touch and I think I might die if those butterflies ever stopped flapping their wings at his kisses and subtle touches.

I wouldn't even be able to stop the smile that instantly grew at the sight of him or the butterflies that always went wild at his touch. It's like they knew he was there before I did, and it never failed to make me breathless.

"Peaches, we've been doing this for a few years now and trust me when I tell you that nobody cares if you don't get them anything."

"But I care. It's a second Christmas and a second New Years. What kind of a NewChristmasYear would it be without gifts!"

Edrian kissed the pout off my lips. "It would be a normal one, babe."

"Whatever. I'm still buying your mom something. She's the only one left. I brought you here to help me! Not to patronise me, mister."

He grinned and I huffed, stomping away from him.

I heard the gravelly tones of his laughter floating through the store and decided to look over my shoulder but at the ungodly way his face had lit up, I turned back around.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry," he said, the amusement prominent in his voice as he caught up to me. "I'll help you, now. I'll stop distracting you."

"Promise?" I scolded.

He snickered. "Promise."

With a harrumph, I marched down the aisle of dessert glasses and fragile bowls and headed in the direction of the exit.

Edrian and I had been walking through this store for an hour now and I still hadn't found anything, so I decided on hunting down bath salts and aromatherapy soaps next.

My own mom loved those and would never decline the opportunity for a long, relaxing bath after a gruesome day at work. The bathtub would be infused with stress-relieving bath salts and a tall bottle of lavender soap to compliment.