Chapter 68

Beep

Beep. Beep. Beep.

A muffled groan cut through the fog in my brain. It wasn't until the dull ache pulsing through my body subsided did I realise the sound had come from me. I peeled my eyes open and moaned when the simple movement throbbed at the back of my skull.

My tongue was glued to the roof of my mouth, and I wondered how many times I would need to wake up like this before I finally started drinking enough water. Speaking of water, a faint dripping echoed to my left, endless and persistent.

Where was I?

The smell of bleach and disinfectant overwhelmed my nose, and I wrinkled them.

Everything came crashing back to me then in a whirlwind of memories and broken images. Derek. The letters. The hitman. Isa. The copycat. I let out a pained breath.

Muted voices pierced through the rush. They sounded both relieved and frantic - like they weren't sure which one to feel. I tried at another peek and a blurry shadow filled my vision. Red hair and wide amber eyes stared at me.

"Cara?" I rasped.

"Oh, thank God," she breathed and released a small laugh as she cupped my face. "You're awake. Finally, you're awake." And then she frowned and pinched my elbow. "You little shit! You made all of us worried sick! I thought I was going insane!"

I groaned and shut my eyes again.

"You're too loud."

"Rightfully so! I felt like tearing my hair out when you passed out!"

I groaned again and brought my hands over to my face but when a tight pinch shot through my fingers, I set it back down. I peeked my eyes open to see a needle in my hand.

A snort came from my other side. Blonde hair and blue eyes. I tried for a smile.

"Hey, Lils."

Cara scoffed.

"Hi, Leia," she chuckled and patted my hand. "Ignore Ms. Pissy over there. She's been a bitch to all of us these past three days."

Cara gasped, outraged but before she could start an argument, I spoke through the clogs in my throat. "Three days? What happened?"

Lily and Cara exchanged glances before Lily settled her gaze back onto me, a slight pinch to her clean-cut brows.

"You passed out due to substantial blood loss. They put you through a transfusion though, so you should be fine."

I nodded and took a moment to look around the bare room. Besides Cara and Lily, the only other people here were Sam and Hunter who were guarding the door.

"Where are the guys?"

I looked between the two and Cara's eyes sparkled at the question.

"You mean, where's Edrian?"