Chapter 41

Boom

Boom.

Lighting shot down from the sky, blazing a shower of white light through the window and over the wooden table. Rain droplets pounded on the roof, filling the hushed silence with their rhythmic tip-taps and the clicks of my keyboard.

The light from my own laptop screen stared back at me, producing a harsh glow over my face as I drafted up a report for my Anatomy's class due this Friday. I furrowed my brows at the analysis I'd typed up. I read it again, and dissatisfied with the paragraph, I pressed 'Select All' and Delete.

Slumping into my chair, I massaged my fingers into the bridge of my brow bones as the beginnings of a migraine hummed through my head. Cara and I were both behind on a heaping pile of assignments so, we'd vowed to camp out in the library until we at least managed to cross off a quarter of them.

And so far, after three hours, I'd crossed off one.

One.

"I'm going to cry," I exaggerated, throwing my head back against the chair.

Cara glanced up from her own laptop and snickered, the sounds of her own keyboard halting as she took me in.

"Me too, babes, but this is what we get for procrastinating - a butt load of tears and a lot of coffee."

"I didn't procrastinate."

She raised a brow. "Then why are you so behind on your work?"

My lips pursed while I tried to come up with an excuse, but I wasn't fast enough, and a knowing grin stretched across Cara's face from ear to ear.

"You were with Edrian, weren't you?"

"What? Pfft. No, that's ridiculous."

"Liar," she sang. "I can read it all over your face - even from the moment I saw you. You won't stop smiling like a creep, your eyes are all dreamy and your cheeks have been pink for the last two hours."

My hands instantly went to cover my cheeks before I could stop them, and it only spurred Cara on. Her grin transformed into a smug smirk - like a Cheshire cat after catching an unsuspecting mouse for dinner. The amber of her eyes morphed into gold with amusement as she tilted her head to the side.

"Did you kiss him?"

"Cara!"

"What?" She blinked innocently. "I'm only asking, but by the way you're turning super red, I'll take that as a yes."

The heat intensified and I was blushing so hard, I could feel the warmth seeping from my cheeks into the palms of my hands. Instead of giving her the satisfaction of my embarrassment though, I only huffed and moved my hands back down to my sides.

It didn't bring me the reaction I wanted, though. She laughed again, winking playfully.

Rolling my eyes, I grabbed a hold of my water bottle and took a hefty sip, but the small smile adorning my lips betrayed my supposed annoyance.