Chapter 16

Cara: Lily and I want to grab milkshakes at Salmah's

Cara: Lily and I want to grab milkshakes at Salmah's...You wanna come?

Salmah's Diner was a student favourite for its delicious array of cuisines and top tier milkshakes. The short distance didn't hurt either, since the diner sat tucked between the campus bus stop and a post office. I stared at the screen for all of two seconds before I texted back a reply.

Me: Yes, please.

Cara: Okay. We'll save you a spot.

Quickly shutting off my laptop, I cleared off all the materials on the desk and hightailed out of the library.

A couple days have passed since Taco Tuesday and after I returned to the party with Mila dressed up in her pink, puffy gown, the conversation resumed seamlessly, as if I hadn't just bolted out of there like a mad woman.

Thankfully, they never brought it up or acknowledged it ever happened. At most, they would offer me a comforting smile and that was that. Though, I couldn't help feeling frustrated with the number of times I'd been on the edge of a meltdown in front of them. Granted, it was only twice, but that was still twice too many times.

Stepping out into the chilly, December breeze, I trekked my way down the winding pathway towards the campus diner bordering the quad. The sun was beginning to set over the horizon, painting the brilliant evening sky in hues of pastel purples and pinks and showering me in watery rays of sunlight.

I glanced at my phone. Ever since the first article of the copycat killer circulated around the media, Asrea had, once again, been dropped into a colossal pit of terror and panic.

Asrea was a miniscule country by standard, especially compared to our neighbouring relatives across the Atlantic Ocean, which meant small towns and big cities alike were not out of range for the copycat killer.

My beloved country sat geographically detached from Europe and whilst we were not a European country, we resided very closely to them that we were almost considered one.

Pushing open the diner door, a bell chimed above my head right before a gargantuan ripple of noises bombarded my ears. I glanced to my right and my brows skyrocketed at the sight of the hockey team occupying three large tables pushed up together. They basically took up the entire right side of the diner.

My eyes latched onto the familiar head of dyed hair at the end of one of the tables.

Didn't he have some sort of diplomatic call scheduled for tonight with one of our advisors?

Being the Crown Prince, Nate wasn't so easily relieved of his duties just because we were in another country. One of the tech experts figured out a way to reroute his digital footprints to the palace, so while he may be taking the call from our house here, the signal would be pinned down in Asrea.

Nate must've felt my stare because he looked up from his conversation with a few other guys to find me standing a few feet away from him. The sight of my puzzled stare made a single dark brow lift in question.