Chapter 63

Song Dedication: Illicit Affairs (Eras Tour Version) by Taylor Swift

"You showed me colours you know I can't see with anyone else."

Halfway through the movie, Matt had called them back into his office to finish up scheming the second-half of their plan. Whatever that was.

I couldn't be bothered to watch the rest of the movie by myself when I barely paid any attention to it, so I'd switched off the screen and retreated back to my room. I'd been too busy trying not to fidget or worse, crumble under the heat of Edrian's gaze throughout the better part of the movie and now, I was exhausted.

It was becoming harder and harder with every rose, every hot chocolate, every note and pleading gaze, and every day that passed without him near me. While a greater part of me begged me to let go, to believe in Edrian's promises, a smaller part of me - a mere whisper - told me to keep my distance, and even though that part was smaller by a thousand, it dominated every inch of my heart until it barricaded it from the world - from Edrian.

I grabbed a pillow from my bed and moved to sit at the window nook. Stars winked proudly in the sky, flickering and dancing to a silent melody and streetlights glowed over the city scape. I'd just begun to settle in, a throw blanket over my lap and a Youtube video on my phone, when a knock sounded at my door.

I assumed it was Greta coming to scold me for not eating dinner.

"Come in," I called.

The door remained closed for another moment, as if the person behind it was hesitating, before it swung open slowly to reveal a towering frame and broad shoulders. Sharp lines and green eyes filled my vision and my heart skipped a beat.

"Edrian?" I sat up. "What are you doing here?"

His gaze flicked to my hands, then back up to my face. Nothing but an endless, turbulent sea.

"You didn't clean your cuts."

"My cuts?"

A crease formed on my forehead as I looked at him. He moved a step closer, and I then noticed the mini first aid kit in his hand.

"Bryan told you to clean your cuts. You didn't."

Realisation dawned on me. I shook my head.

"It's okay. I'll clean them later."

I wasn't sure if Edrian didn't hear me or he just chose to ignore me because instead of moving towards the door, he moved towards me. My stomach knotted into a nervous mess. We hadn't talked, really talked, since the day he chased me through the halls and into the supply closet. We'd made eye contact, but those were mostly accidental on my part.

I wasn't ready for him in any sense of the word, and I wasn't ready now.

"Edrian-"

His eyes bore into mine and it made my lips snap shut.