Chapter 32

Flashing strobe lights bounced off the walls and into the humid room, illuminating the river of bodies grinding and dancing and jumping along to every boom of the bass speakers

Majority of the people here were either on the hockey team, or students looking for a rowdy night out on campus. I barely recognized any of them but the ones that I did - mostly the players I've met during the times I'd hung around the rink-, merely winked at me and moved on.

The minute we'd arrived, I'd beelined it to the kitchen. Alcohol was a hard no for me but I'd found a couple of bottles of soda in the fridge to keep me company throughout the night and while it wasn't the most ideal way to spend my Friday night, it was certainly entertaining to watch a drunkard Nico try to figure out how many drinks he's had.

He held up four fingers at me and I raised a silent eyebrow, my arms crossed over my chest.

"That's how many! I think I want to have moreee," he slurred.

"Uh, no that's not. And no, you can't," I said and flicked his forehead. "You've had ten shots in thirty minutes, Nic. Stop drinking."

He pouted, jutting his lips out dramatically. "But I've only had this many and you're sooo pwettyyy."

"You're talking like Mila," I snorted and smacked his shoulder. "That's not a good sign. Go get water from the fridge and try to sober up. I'm not letting you black out tonight, Nic. Though, I don't think you're very far from it."

A small voice in my head warned that the water might be spiked too and giving it to Nico in an attempt to sober him up seemed ludicrous. That and the fact that I was trying to use water to get him sober. There was no coffee around, so it was the best option – the only option.

As if the man who took ten shots could get sober anyway.

"Take this. And drink it. No more alcohol for you," I said, snatching a bottle from the fridge and shoving it into his hand.

"Bitch," he mumbled, and I chuckled.

He proceeded to slouch over the countertop, the hair on his forehead slick with sweat and he grunted sloppily. I went to wrap a hand around his waist and bring him somewhere quieter when Lily came bounding into the kitchen, her eyes snagging on Nico before she rolled them.

"Nico! For fucks sake, I told you not to do this again!"

She thwacked his forehead with a resounding slap that drew a wince from me. Nico frowned and rubbed the red bruise on his head with the palm of his hand, the sight almost comical compared to the grinding and dancing not more than two feet away from us.

Lily then turned to me with an annoyed expression. "He always gets shit faced drunk at parties. There has never been a time where he didn't drink."

She sighed and the minute Nico's eyes shot back to her, a maniacal grin spread across his face. "Lilyyyyy."

She scrunched her face in disgust and groaned, holding her hands out in case he fell as Nico stumbled into her. Lily then wrapped her arms around him and guided him out the kitchen, his mumbles and drool dripping onto her shoulder. I wrinkled my nose.