Aching Desire

Vanessa

He's going to hate me.

Don't be ridiculous, Vanessa. He's your brother. He loves you. No matter what. Knots coiled around inside my stomach like a heaping pile of snakes as I took a deep breath outside of Jake's bedroom door. 

With shaky fist, I hovered my knock. Why can't we use our twin telepathy to have this conversation so that I don't actually have to admit out loud that I'm in love with his best friend? Groaning, and before I lost my courage, I pounded on the wood. 

And waited.

Not hearing any movement from the other side, I pressed my ear against the door. The muffled thumping of music was the only noise to be detected. I slammed even harder with the palm of my hand. "Jake!" I yelled. "Don't ignore me! I know you're in there."

The door flew away from my fingers as he flung it open and folded his arms over his chest. "What do you want?"

Pushing past him, I beelined for his bed and plopped down on the mattress, smoothing out the crisp, blue plaid linens. Not that my perfect brother would ever dream of allowing a crease in his bedding. "What happened to, 'Come on in, sis. Stay awhile. Hang out.'"

Jake shrugged as he sat down at his computer chair, clicking the mouse to resume the video game he had been playing. "You got annoying," he murmured beneath his breath.

I rolled my eyes and reached for the glossy gaming magazine he had left open on his bed. A picture of a shirtless, buff avatar posing in a fighting stance stared up at me. I held up the magazine for my brother to see. "Is this what you nerdy boys fantasize about looking like?" I giggled.

Jake glanced over his shoulder, immediately turning crimson. "Give me that." He snatched the reading material from my grasp and chucked it in the trash. "You're so damn nosey."

"You're such a hypocrite," I shot back. "Anytime I breath in Matt's direction, you ask me a million questions about what I'm doing and what he said to me."

He grunted in response, his eyes never leaving the computer scene; a battle scene between purple aliens illuminating the monitor.

Picking at the lone piece of fuzz on his pillowcase, I cleared my throat. "Are you going to Sydney's New Year's Eve gathering tonight?" I figured I would start our conversation off in neutral territory before busting in, guns blazing, and calling out how I was fucking his friend as though I was the town crier.

He snorted. "Begrudgingly. Addison is forcing Matt to attend so thus, he's now roping me into going."

"You poor baby," I muttered. Glancing down at my lap, I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "Speaking of Matt...Uh, listen, Jake...there's actually something I've been meaning to talk to you about."

Even though he wasn't looking at me, I caught sight of his hand stilling on the mouse and his posture instantly straightening. "Not now, Vanessa. I'm in the middle of a huge boss battle."

My gaze flicked back towards the monitor where his magenta monster avatar was standing there aimlessly, tongue panting, and waiting for further instruction. Not a single enemy was in sight. I arched a brow. "It will only take a minute-"

"Shit!" He burst out, gesturing at the screen. "I lost track of time. I'm going to be late for the party." He jumped from his seat, the chair swiveling wildly upon his vacancy. He swept his hand down his body. "How's my outfit? Should I change?"

My gaze travelled over his personal uniform of khakis and an ironed, cornflower blue button-up. I nodded. "You look fine, Jake but before you go can we at least-"