Chapter 29

Huge trigger warning, sexual assault of a child.

Declan

It's been a week since Mara got released. A week since her brother's and I cornered Josh and made sure he wouldn't touch her. I have gone to her house every day and made sure I spread the word the Mara is my girlfriend, okay fake girlfriend but you know at this point I just want to actually call her mine. I haven't told the rest of the team yet because of this exhibition match they have been training for which I find wrong that I am the only one that isn't allowed to play in it. Why? You ask is because couch checked grades the night before while we all worked out for the summer. Just because we are on break doesn't mean that we can sit around and drink all the time like some of the rookies like to do. Shane, one of the rookies, told me about the exhibition match that coach definitely didn't want me knowing about it. While in passing, he told me about it simply by asking what time we should be there and then he almost lost his mind remembering I shouldn't know that. Well too late now and how could I pass up this opportunity fuck the grades if I get signed now it wouldn't matter. Hockey is all I have to make a better life. My siblings each got either the smart gene or the sport gene, they all got both, I got the sports gene, I suck at everything and if it wasn't for the national hockey leagues rule that each recruited player has to be in college I would already be playing for them. I jog up the front stairs of Mara's seeing that Ryan is home and not their either. Maybe he wasn't told either but nope just before I knock on the door, Ryan is already walking out with his gear.

"What's that look for?" He says as he passes me letting the door close. "You headed to the exhibition match or was no one going to tell me?" I can't help the anger that is laced through out my whole tone. "Remember you aren't allowed to play unless your grades improved" He says as now I am even more angry because my favorite team's recruiter is supposed to be in the stands. This is one in a life time opportunity for me to be signed and now have to worry about stupid grades and I can focus on my future wife. "Ask Mara, all I know coach said in the text this morning that you and three others weren't to know. Whichever rookie told you is going to hear it. Dec don't just show up and do your normal" He says as I follow him to his car. "I have no clue what your talking about" I say as he gives me the no shit, I have known you for a long ass time and know you won't listen. "Declan, seriously Mendes is super pissed and its been barely a month and a half since you started this tutoring and nothing has improved at all. Maybe you need to switch to a different tutor since Mara is a distraction for you. I don't want to be playing my final year of college and not go on to play for the same team. Remember the dream man, I have to get to that, I'm already late but talk to my sister she is waiting for you anyways" Ryan say before getting into his car and drives off.

Damn it! I have tried everything with this class and I am still not understanding any of it. I do the code the program doesn't work. I play around with it and it crashes. I turn in my best one and yet I still fail. I jog back up the stairs and into her house. She's sitting at the kitchen island in something I only thought about in my dreams, A slick tank top and shorts pajama set. She has her injured leg propped up on one of the other stools as she intensely looks at her laptop. I can't talk my eyes off her all her sexy curves, but then the sound she makes has my dick hardening in my pants. She lets out a low moan clutching on to her stomach which has all the dirty thoughts of hearing make that sound in other ways go right out of my mine. She's in pain, and probably not just the pain from her leg. I walk into the room and Kendra is standing across from her with her arms folded, face red and glaring daggers at her. She doesn't notice me when she says, "I still find it wrong, Mara. You don't understand what you just did and just because you have a thing for him doesn't mean that he is going to forgive you for this. I would have gave him a better grade and curved the damn weekly tests for everyone. Just for once stop following the rules" that's when our eyes lock and instant regret written all over her face. She murmurs a shit as Mara looks right at me. My brain doesn't register all of it just that she has a thing for me. She likes me too, I might just have to test that while hoping that I don't lose my position on the team. "You decided that my work wasn't good enough to play today. Why?" I ask as I walk towards her as she turns all red. "I didn't know about the match, its summer after all and I have been busy with other things. I can grade some more stuff but its really on you if you didn't do the assassinments" She says and what the actual fuck. I turned in every single one of those assassinments while she was hurt. I did them while she was in that hospital bed, my teammates helped me but I got them done. "What the hell are you talking about" I say as I don't break eye contact and that's when I see the fire in her eyes. I wish that fire was for other reasons and not because she is literally trying to fuck over my career in hockey.