Chapter 30

Trigger warning sexual assault of a child

Declan

My blood boils as his kid just did it to my child. She may not be my child physically but she is like my own child. Clara is doing everything to protect Maze from Jake. Hence why I am picking her up from here because if not Jake will be by to document how Clara is an unfit mother. I just hope those two work their shit out because after a conversation months ago with Jake after he got sloppy drunk. I picked him up from the bar and he spilled it all to me that after she told him, he wasn't the best person wishing he could have been there like he wanted to be. He also apologized for everything that happened in high school and hopes that Kendra will forgive him too. He also told me that he wished Clara would forgive him too and maybe try again so he could also get to know Maze. I sigh as I look at the frightened receptionist that my dark gaze has gotten to her. "I think we need to go into the office. Clara knows already and is equally as pissed as she wanted me to tell you. Declan" She says as my pulse quickens trying not to look back to the little boy. I am hoping it's a brother, sibling, or Josh's and not his actual kid. I follow her into a large office with what I assume is the principle of the school and two cops. "Clara said she will handle things more after she is off work but said we are able to talk with you about handling this situation. I am Mina Harris, the principle here, Call me Mina" Mina says as I take a seat. She twists her hands in a nerves habit and the look on my face has to be giving her more anxiety. "I assume these are your security officers" I say in the darkest tone I have ever heard come out of me.

They shake their heads yes and I smile a little. "Good because I want it documented that this happened and that a decision is being made if we want to take further action against the child" I say as Mina's eyes go wide with what I just said. "Mina, I want to know that my god daughter is going to be safe with in your care before I decide to find a different facility for her during the day" I say lacing my voice with the unspoken threat that I will take legal action against the whole school if I had too. "I was in the room when it happened. He decided to touch her private parts when she was laying down for the afternoon nap. I told him many times to get away from the girls side but he did it while I turned my back and the assistant teacher saw him do it. He grabbed her like he has done it before expecting nothing to happen to him. She screamed and kicked him hard in the privates before my assistant could get to him. "You taught her well" says a voice as I turn nearly stops as I look at my teammate, Macklin. The fury in be dies a little as his own expression says that he is equally as mad that this has happened. "We want any footage that you have of the incident and we have already filed a report on behalf of you and Ms. Clara" Says one of the officers. I look at him seeing his name is Sargent Nathaniel Dimes, I try to hide my smirk because he and Clara have been flirting. She refuses to take my advice and ask him for his number. I can tell that this officer is trying his hardest to not be furious at the events that just happened, caring about Maze just like she is his own kid. "Good. Anything else? I would like to take Maz home" I say as I walk to the glass door where I see her sitting in a chair eyes red with tears. I made sure as soon as she was able to understand me that she knew how to protect herself but sick bastards, no matter the age, will always find a way to continue to hurt little girls. They all shake their heads in unison yes as I walk out the door my heart shattering as Maze looks to me. She runs as fast as she can to me, catching her drawing her little body into me. "I am so sorry, Uncle Lan. I did what you taught me when anyone touches me when I don't want them too" She cries into my shoulder shaking with tears. "It's okay bean you are safe now we are going home" I say as I sign her out and carry her as well as her bag to my car. I get her all buckled in and as she sniffles. "They tried to stop him but he was faster than them" She says as lean back out. I frown trying to understand what she is saying, the teachers are in as much trouble as the kid in my opinion but I will talk to Clara about that. I shut the door and climb into the driver's seat. I look at her from the review mirror and my heart aching more as I see her so upset. Knowing that type of trauma is going to come up and its going to hurt to see her grow to pull away from every male figure in her life. "I heard sweetheart. I am so sorry they didn't protect you" I say seeing her little brow furrow while she looks at me. "It's not their fault it happened, neither is it my fault that it happened like the nasty lady wants me to believe. " She says so clearly that my heart swells at every word she spoke. I start the car as Clara's name pops up on the cars apple car play.