04

Updated 19/02/20

TWO WEEKS AGO Jacob, Gracie and Bella had started building bikes. Embry managed to get her number, saying he'd message her almost everyday. Actually, he did. That was until recently. It was like a he disappeared. It wasn't like before when he was grounded, this was different. He stopped talking to Jacob and Quil as well. To make matters worse, Jared stopped visiting too. Gracie felt lonely. She still had Bella and Jacob but they were more of each other's company whilst Gracie was that third friend that had been there all along, in the background mostly. 

So Gracie stayed at home for four days, no school, no socialising, nothing. Bella was still with Jacob everyday finishing off the bike building. She had told them that she was taking forever writing this English paper, Bella understood - well believed her, for now. However, Gracie was so unmotivated these days due to the pressure from her parents and the constant patches of loneliness in her life which were plainly wearing the girl out that she wasn't even trying to write the paper. It was due today. Due today and Gracie hadn't even begun to write anything. In fact, she wasn't going to write it at all. The young Biers' girl rummaged through Riley's bedroom desk which had many papers from his high school years. She was hoping to find the exact paper that was being asked for today. To her amusement, it was still here. She skimmed over the lines, cut off the top inch which had his name and B- grade. English was her only good subject, she was a C grade student in most subjects, practically an F grade in Maths but in English, she managed to be a straight A+ or A- student and nothing in between. But you know what, a B- is better than a big fat 0 so since her brother's essay seemed good enough for her, she handed it in. 

That same afternoon, both her and Bella drove to Jacob's. She always enjoyed to ride from Forks to the Quileute Reservation. The forest covering both sides of the road was like a phenomenal dream in a fantasy land. It was even more dreamy today which the light sprinkle of rain drifting over the sky which the trees waved with them, gently, calmly. It made herself calm. But the trip towards the Marsh was even better. The Marsh itself was beautiful with the flooded reflections of the clouds above tying in with the flamboyant reeds. It had the wondrous view of the mountainous Olympic Forest surrounding and even Bella herself loved this place for its immense beauty. That was exactly where she chose for them to test out these bikes. 

"If I told you I couldn't have fixed these bikes, what would you have said?" Jacob asked, worryingly to Bella.

Gracie pushed her back against the back of the seat since she was in the middle, letting Jacob glance at Bella. The blonde, instead, focused on the scenic route ahead of cliff faces and evergreen pine trees. 

"Are you doubting your mad skills?" Bella asked, chuckling lightly.

"No, definitely not. I mean they'll run fine." Jacob smiled widely, but faded as he continued. "Its just...Maybe if I was smart, I would've dragged out the rebuild a bit."

She looked to Bella, who glanced a her too, flicking her eyes. Jacob was always the one out of the three of to question his doings, to have the lowest self esteem of each of them. It wasn't due to a phase, it was more of the fact that he was feeling lonely, like both of the girls. Embry wouldn't talk to any of them anymore, even Quil, and they couldn't understand why. Jacob would continuously beat himself up wondering if sometimes he'd gone too far in his jokes with him. 

"If you told me you couldn't fix these bikes, I would say that's really too bad, but that we're just gonna have to find something else to do."

Gracie looked to Jacob who was blushing clearly, that indeed made her smile immensely. Jacob had always told her how she needed to be his wingman to get Bella for him, of course Gracie agreed - simply because she saw no other guy more fitting than Jacob to be with her and at a time like this, where Edward Cullen had broken her heart and left her alone in the forest, Gracie was trying her hardest to sway Bella's mind. 

"Is that Sam Uley?" Bella asked, turning both Jacob and Gracie's attention to the cliff face.

"Yeah. Him and his cult" Jacob replied, bluntly.

There were four boys, all shirtless. Cropped black hair, tanned skin and clearly Jacob wasn't amused by them. Sam Uley? The one that carried Bella out of the forest? Indeed it was. Gracie wanted to know what this cult of Sam's was. Jacob always told her that Sam and his cult were nothing but trouble. Troublemakers. Classic teenage boy troublemakers. She knew to stay well away from them. One of the boys was pushed off the edge, falling down to the ocean. Bella swerved the car to the side, immediately.

"Oh my gosh. Did you see that?" Bella said quickly, jumping out of the car.

Gracie scooted to the side, hopping out to join her as fast as she could to see what these troublemakers were doing. Were they bullying someone? Trying to kill someone? They had to know. Jacob slowly made his way beside the girls, laughing. She furrowed her eyebrows at the boy, thinking this wasn't funny at all. 

"They're not really fighting, girls. They're cliff diving. Scary as hell but a total rush." Jacob explained.

Bella looked intrigued, "A rush?"

Both girls kept watching as another one of them jumped off, whooping as they went down. Now that they thought about it, it did seem fun. Not fun enough for Gracie, herself, to go jump off a cliff, but to watch them do it, it gave her a rush too. 

"Most of us jump from lower down. We leave the showing off to Sam and his disciples." Jacob flicked his eyes at the mention of Sam. His blonde best friend gave him a small smile as she stood beside him.

"You have some kind of beef with them, or something?" She asked watching Bella join her side.

"I don't know. They think they run this place..." Jacob began, whilst they continued watching. "Embry used to call them hall monitors on steroids. Now look at him."

Her eyes focused on the boy now jumping. "That's Embry?" Gracie gasped.

"Yeah." Jacob said, looking away from his once best friend.

She quickly looked at Jacob, wide-eyed. "What happened to him?"

"He missed some school and all of a sudden he started following Sam around like a little puppy. Same thing happened with Paul and Jared. Sam keeps giving me this look. Like he's waiting for me or something. It's kinda starting to freak me out." Jacob softly spilled, shaking his head a couple times.

"Well, you should just avoid him." Bella said in hope to comfort him.

"I try." 

To that they turned their heads back, watching the ring leader - Sam Uley - effortlessly and sophistically diving off the cliff like it didn't phase him one bit. Gracie shook her head, turning away. Embry was caught up in this, or did he choose this? Her mind boggled wondering what happened to the sweet boy on the beach but her mind fought with all the negative times. All that filled her head was what made her even more angry. Like the time when he handed Jared a card to give Gracie for her birthday when quite clearly he could've come to see her like Jared did, everyday to no avail. He was a troublemaker. The girl knew she needed to stay away from troublemakers. So that was it, she had decided then and there to stay away from Embry Call, even Jared, Paul and Sam. 

2017© ; misstonii