40

THE DAY OF THE BATTLE HAD ARRIVED, though the Cullen's constantly mentioned how much they weren't planning on fighting, Sam knew his boys should still be prepared in the case of an ugly fight with ruthless vampires. Gracie had promised to stay behind with Emily during the day, tucked in the little hut far away from the battle grounds, with the aid of Brady and Collin. 

The day seemed unusually quiet for the two women, the duration seemingly dragging on too. That was until a few whoops and howls erupted just outside Emily's home. Gracie was relieved to see them all cheery and alive, moreover the fact that nobody had found them during the time of their absence. As Sam found Emily's side, Embry clutched onto Gracie pulling her into a tight embrace.

"You're ok!" Gracie breathed out into the crook of his neck. 

He planted a kiss on her forehead, "Now I am."

There hadn't been a quiet time all afternoon, not now that a party had begun out of nowhere. Sam called it a 'peace party' but Gracie doubted the word peace. Gracie snuggled against Embry's side, his arm wrapped around her waist as he stuffed one of Emily's freshly baked brownies into his mouth. Jared was exaggerating bits and pieces of the days events earning a couple thrown chips from Paul, Seth and Quil. Even Jacob and Leah seemed to be happy. 

Everyone was happy, until somebody sensed something nearby. 

A cold one. 

Embry's hold on the girl's clothes tightened as hard as he could as Sam walked toward the door. It was Edward Cullen. 

Paul had to bite his tongue about trespassing on their land only because he had read in Sam's mind that this was planned earlier. Apparently, Edward was to discuss what he saw in Alice's vision with the pack all present. 

The air seemed tense and almost too awkward. Edward stood beside Sam facing the rest of the group who continued to munch of the table snacks.

"Edward, what did you see?" Gracie asked, breaking the silence as she had known no one else would've.

Edward took a deep breath when his eyes met Gracie's. "You all would've been glad not to fight today. There would've been lives lost, however, we would've won."

Embry fidgeted on his third brownie in his hand, other's stopped chewing so loudly...the silence was purely terrifying. 

"Alice kicked Aro away and he didn't take lightly on it. Carlisle and Aro went head on and Aro killed my father. That's when the rest of us joined..." Edward continued, pausing a little as he watched everyone's faces and reading their reactions. "Both sides were strong, especially with those with special talents. Jane was the worst of course, her pain infliction got Jasper first,  she then got Seth."

Gracie gasped a little looking to Seth who was deadly silent. Leah's eyes looked a little wide with the possibility of losing her brother. 

"It started to seem like we were losing so Benjamin, who can control the alchemical elements, opened a sinkhole reaching the underground magma in order to divide sides. We almost lost Esme, but Leah dove to save her and well..." 

Edward looked to Leah with soft eyes, causing everyone to turn toward her. Her crossed arms clenched tighter on her own shirt, waiting to hear the words she knew he was about to say.

"You would've fallen into the sinkhole to your death. There was one good thing; Sam would've torn Jane apart."

Everybody stayed still for a minute, no one knew what to say.

"Did we lose anyone else?" Paul dared to ask, wiping the chip grease off using Quil's jumper beside him.

Edward looked to Gracie and Embry followed to gaze. 

"No! No way." Embry's voice was louder than expected. "She wasn't there."

Gracie's fingers intertwined into his, reminding him that none of this had actually happened. 

Edward continued softly, "Three Volturi members had found the hut. Brody and Collin took of two of them but the third one was hidden inside until Emily and Gracie had found him. They both ran outside but they were limited on places to go, the sinkhole reached beside the hut too and they were trapped. The guard had his hold on Emily but Gracie fought him off. She fought him off and took him with her into the sinkhole, saving Emily by sacrificing herself."

Now the silence seemed louder. Everyone's eyes were on Gracie whilst her own were searching Edward's for questioning. She knew he could read her thoughts, though he didn't act upon them. She was stunned.

"Thank you." Sam finally spoke, shaking hands with Edward has the vampire left the hut.

Gracie refused to look around the room only squeezing Embry's hand for reassurance. 

"I know that none of that actually happened, I am grateful for it, but Gracie...You would've sacrificed yourself for me." Emily began, a gentle tear falling out of her eye. The woman crouched in front of Gracie, both her hands cupping the girl's free hand. "Thank you."

Sam nodded to Gracie, he too endearingly grateful for what she would've done for his fiancé.

The sun set that day and Paul even admitted to Gracie that she's part of the family more so than previously. He even apologised for the times he wasn't very nice to her. Dinner time had arrived and everybody was starved, especially with the aroma of Emily's baking coming through. However, when Gracie arrived downstairs everybody was already there - facing her. She assumed they were all going to thank you for the fantasy of sacrificing herself but she thought that was already done and over with, she didn't want all the attention on her. This attention on her was for a completely different reason though.

Embry stepped out in front holding something in his hand, like a small box but she couldn't exactly see from the distance and the dimly lit room.

"Gracie Biers," The boy began walking slowly towards her with a smile on his face. "I love you more and more everyday, everything you do it out of the goodness and pureness of your heart. The pack can disagree on this all they want but I have the best imprint of the lot."

Gracie laughed a little, more out of nervousness. She cheeks were reddening and she dared to look at the people standing behind him, all grinning or holding a thumbs up at her. Embry lowered himself onto one knee, his right hand taking her left hand whilst his other held open a small box containing a ring. She knew exactly what was going on and her heart seemed like it was having a sprint race inside of her. 

"I love you more than I can put into words and before you get yourself killed being your predicamental self, I have to ask you something I have only dreamed of doing since the day I met you at La Push Beach." Embry continued to say.

The room laughed a little along with Gracie at a few of his words, everybody eager for what was going to happen.

"Will you marry me?" 

His dark chocolate eyes glisten with the honeyed light above her, a tint of hope and pure love shining through. Gracie smiled wider than she thought she could.

"Yes! Yes!" 

An eruption of cheers rose from behind them as Embry placed the ring on her finger and spun her around in a hug. She kissed him long and hard, never wanting to let go of him. 

She was going to get married and she could hardly wait.

--

Also a huge thank you for 27K, I was shocked when I read those numbers! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

2017 ©misstonii