13

Updated 19/02/20

EMILY HAD PREPARED a large lasagna for the boys, and saved Gracie an extra piece in the fridge in case they ate all of it. It was clear the wolves had an appetite and a half. Between Paul and Jared, they woofed the food down, whilst Sam helped with Emily cleaning the kitchen. Embry stayed beside Gracie, eating only when she ate. They were gossiping about their school on the reservation, which she learned so much about. About the times when everyone's head would turn when one of them had cut their hair the first time since they phased or the times when Paul was so popular with the girls at school.

A moment later, the fun died. Jacob came charging in to Sam.

"Jacob, calm down!" Sam chanted as Jacob grunted, pacing up and down.

Embry pulled Gracie behind his back, whilst the other boys stood up.

"Bella just left to Italy with that short-haired bloodsucker named Alice." Jacob seethed through his teeth.

Gracie peered from behind Embry, "Alice Cullen? A bloodsucker?"

Sam looked to Embry, before the questioning girl. Had Bella been lying to her this whole time? Jacob rambled on some more, to Sam mainly but also to Jared who wasn't making the situation better by plastering jokes here and there. Paul moved toward Embry and Gracie, his arm pushing both of them outside with him.

"What the hell is going on?" She spoke loudly and quickly, pulling away from both Embry and Paul.

Paul took a deep breath, looking to Embry. "The Cullen's are bloodsuckers and your Bella is in love with them."

Embry shooed Paul back into the house, grabbing her hand and looking straight into her eyes.

"Embry, please." Gracie began, "What is the truth?"

"Paul's right. The Cullen's are vampire's, Bella knows about them and she trusts them. They claim they're different to other vampires, but a bloodsucker is a bloodsucker to us." Embry tried to explain, the least.

"Why is Jacob so angry about it?" Gracie continued to ask.

Embry pursed his lips slightly, "Because he didn't imprint on her, and it's driving him mad - to know she'll never really be his. One day he'll find his imprint, the way I did."

The girl took a deep breath, calming at Embry's sweetness. "There's no difference, though. Her being with a vampire, compared to her being with a werewolf."

"Except she'll want to become a vampire to live with him forever." Embry finally said, before Jacob bounded out, slightly calmer than before. His eyes widened slightly. "I'm sorry I never told you sooner, Grace."

-

The three were in Jacob's car, Embry driving whilst Gracie sat beside him, Jacob perched in the backseat. As they neared Gracie's house, the sheriff's car stood in her driveway. Embry pulled in right beside it, each of them hopping out of the car. The front door swung open, Charlie coming out beside her parents. Embry seemed to tense up a little, whilst Jacob moved forward first.

"Bella's gone again, to Italy." Charlie spoke, almost sounding sarcastic in a way but we knew it was no joke. She truly had gone to Italy. "I was just checking to see if she was with you guys, but I guess not."

Jacob walked right in front of Charlie, "She went with the Cullen's."

Charlie didn't seem the slightest bit amused at all. He nodded to Jacob as well as Gracie and then to Embry who he hadn't met before all before he went back into his car, driving off home. Jacob gave Gracie's mother a hug and shook her father's hand whilst Gracie stood beside Embry beside the car.

"This is my friend, Embry." Jacob spoke for Gracie, pointing to Embry who looked more nervous than ever.

"Hello, why don't you both stay for dinner." Her mother invited, to which Jacob followed both her mother and father inside.

Gracie looked to Embry, like they both were having the same nightmare. 

2017© ; misstonii