Chapter Nine: Juniper

In Victorian times, Juniper symbolized protection *

*.:。✿*゚ *.:。✿*゚*.:。✿*゚ *.:。✿*゚ *.:。✿*゚ *.:。✿*゚
"What does this say?" Nightshade points at the words in the book. Sitting on her knee is Kapua, who gazes closely at the page, dragging his finger along it as he deciphers the words.

     The library is quiet save for Larkspur talking to herself. What is she even mumbling about? Leafeon hopes it's the dangerous Charizard singing to himself in a room he could blow up if he wanted. Then again, Larkspur cares more about her precious books than her daughter mixing random chemicals together. Why would she possibly care about Prince?

     Leafeon sits beside the large window, watching as bird Pokémon pick around in the snow. She would much rather be eating the food than staring at it but, she wants to watch Nightshade. Not talk to her just watch her. Even if looking at her made her a bit... upset.

     "It says..." Kapua starts, "Ruby Brid-ges. Briges?" He looks up at his mother who shakes her head and whispers something to him. "D? Bridges?" Nightshade nods. "It doesn't sound like there's a 'd' in there..."

     "He should be better at reading than that," Larkspur notes. "Raven could read that book almost perfectly when she turned seven. So could everyone else."

     Nightshade flashes her a warning look. While Leafeon was trying to enjoy her morning, Larkspur wouldn't shut up about how Kapua should be better at simple tasks. As a matter of fact, the older Salazzle was finding everything and everything to complain about.

     "No! I know it!" Kapua looks at the book once more. "'Was... born in a small... cabin near...T... T-Yl-er..."

     "Tyler," Nightshade gently corrects him.

     "Ty...lertown. Miss...Miss..."

     "He's slow." Larkspur takes the book from him. "Just like his sister."

     "Excuse me?"

     "I am not!" Kapua yells, running after her. "It just takes me longer to spell out words!"

     Larkspur stops and turns to him. "Too long."

     Leafeon sighs as they continue to argue. Do Salazzle just not get along with each other? Is that why they live with a bunch of Salandit? She peels herself away from the barren field of snow and pads out the door. She passes by Pixie Cloud, who's busy watching a Pikipek from outside a high window. She could just open the window with her weird powers, but to each their own. When she enters the kitchen, Specter comes flying over to her with a wide smile. "You look horrible!"

     Leafeon grunts. "Yeah. Everyone does."

     "I DO NOT." She spins around Leafeon as she walks, heading out to the backyard. Hopefully, she can catch a Rattata or two. "SPECTER DOES NOT NEED SLEEP." Specter flies in front of her when they reach a crossroads. "WE HAVE TO GO DOWNSTAIRS. IT IS FASTER."