Chapter Twenty-Four: Four Days

In Victorian Times, Lobelias symbolized malevolence

❁❁❁❁

The sharp, methodical beeping of the heart monitor pierces through the soft quiet of the hospital room. A Salazzle sits on the bed, wringing his hands together nervously. The frantic beeping of the monitor gives away his emotions, and Leafeon can't really blame him for being so on edge.

     "Kapua," Plumeria says his name again, snapping him out of his daze. "Jeez. What's wrong with you? You're so...out of it. That's not like you."

     "Can you get me out of the hospital?" He asks, his voice hoarse. "It's boring in here. Mama needs me."

     Plumeria sighs and shakes her head. "She needs you to be healthy and strong. You can hardly sit up on your own."

     "'Cause my body hurts..." He mumbles. "My head is always hurting and I always have seizures and I'm always lonely and I'm always hungry and I'm always bored an—"

     "I get it!" Plumeria rubs her temple. "Your mother can't spend every waking moment with you, Kapua."

     "But I'm awake now..."

     "She visits you," Leafeon reminds him. "Everyday."

     Kapua frowns. "Not anymore," he says resentfully. "She didn't come yesterday. She isn't here today." He glances up, his eyes flickering between the two of them. "Why not?"

     "Because she's sick," Plumeria answers. Kapua's scowl deepens and he turns his head back to the covers. "You're just full of attitude this morning," Plum notes.

     "Am not," he grumbles, picking at the covers. "I'm just tired." He glares at Plumeria for a moment before lying back and covering himself with the covers. "Go away. I'm sleeping now."

     Plumeria heaves a sigh. "I guess we're not talking today." She walks over and sits down in the chair on the far side of the room. "Leafeon. Can you inform Nightshade that her sweet little angel is on my last nerve?"

     "I think he just wants to leave," Leafeon says quietly.

     "You don't see me throwing a fit when I don't get my way," Plumeria remarks. "If you let kids do whatever they want, it'll become a problem before you know it. Do you really want to be around a kid that whines about everything?" There's a short pause. "Oh, wait, you are. It's Nightshade."

     "Anyway," she leans back into the seat, "you should get back to her. She's probably bored or something. I'll be here with Mr. Grumpy Pants."

     "Uh, d-do you know where Prince is?" Leafeon asks nervously. Her question earns an annoyed groan from Kapua. "Okay..."

     "Well," Plumeria starts, "since Nightshade is sick, I'd assume—" Kapua's muffled mumbling causes her to stop midsentence. "Whatever curmudgeon," she says when he's done. "That he's with Nightshade." Leafeon's fur bristles. "I can't believe you've spent all day just not talking to her."