Chapter Twenty-Two: Doubt Truth to Be a Liar...

𝓼𝓸𝓶𝓮 𝓻𝓲𝓼𝓮 𝓫𝔂 𝓼𝓲𝓷 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓼𝓸𝓶𝓮 𝓫𝔂 𝓿𝓲𝓻𝓽𝓾𝓮 𝓯𝓪𝓵𝓵

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══

There's nothing more familiar than the sterile scent of a hospital. It's the only place that can rival Demarion's overuse of white. The methodical beeping and occasional outside conversation are what Nightshade has been hearing over the past few weeks. She goes to sleep, and she can hear it in her dreams. At least the whole hospital setting is less egregious in the kid's hospital.

     "How long do you plan to mope around?" Nightshade groans. She can also hear Plumeria's voice in her dreams. And, unfortunately, every waking hour of the day. "I have very important work to do."

     "Go do it then!" Nightshade snaps. The Salazzle sits down beside her. "I want to eat my breakfast in peace."

     "First off, I've been here for thirty minutes, and you haven't touched that." Plumeria takes the plate from her. She stares at the food for a moment, then looks up at her. "I'm surprised you can still get pregnant," she murmurs. "How much do you eat in a day?"

     "I'm not pregnant," Nightshade mumbles.

     "That's not what I said." She passes the plate back over to Nightshade. The food is warmer. "For someone who almost died the last time she had kids, you sound very nonchalant."

     "Something went wrong. It happens." She lazily picks at her eggs. "Can we stop talking about giving birth? It's pretty gross."

     Plumeria chuckles. "You are funny, Nightshade." Her voice softens. "Almost as funny as Kapua."

     "We're related, so."

     "There's the problem."

     Nightshade sets the fork down and looks up at her. "Can't you go harass Prince?"

     "I'll have all the time in the world to do that when he's in jail." Nightshade's eyes linger on her aunt for a beat. She hastily gets out of her seat and throws her breakfast away. "Come on." Plumeria soars over to her. "You staring at Kapua for another fifteen hours isn't going to magically make him better. What else do you have to do?"

     "Stop following me," Nightshade growls.

     "It's my job to follow you."

     "That's creepy." Nightshade turns a corner in the hopes of getting rid of her. As Nightshade's luck would have it, it does nothing. "Are you sure you aren't the pedophile?"

     "Who is the pedophile?" Plumeria cocks her head. "I... I don't think we've discussed that."

     "I'm not answering your questions, Plumeria!" Nightshade stops and turns to her. "Leave. Me. Alone. How many times do I have to tell you I wasn't raped?"