Chapter Fourteen: Bittersweet Nightshade

In Victorian times, bittersweet nightshade symbolized truth

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══

The Alolan sun beamed down on the world below, its promises of a wonderful summer putting smiles on all those, humans and Pokémon alike, who were greeted by it. Outside of the main islands of Alola, lived a group of Pokémon that prefer to live like humans. Polis was its name.

     The streets of Polis were bustling with Pokémon, most notable being the two Granbull conversing outside of a café. They sat at a table, the female being one of the few Pokémon who looked upset on such a beautiful day.

     "Pea!" The male sitting across from her whined. "Can we please go to Rarity's house?" The female rolled her eyes and he sets his head on the table. "Please?" He begged one last time.

     "And see that Salandit?" Peony scoffed, taking a sip of her coffee before grimacing and pushing it away. "She's like an Absol, always bringing disaster."

     The male eyed her coffee. "That's... not how Absol works." He says, sneaking the coffee over to his side.

     "I didn't ask, Diesel!" Peony snapped, causing Diesel to spill the cup. "What do you need to ask her anyway?"

     "Why she let Ni—"

     "Don't!" Peony barked. The café goers turned their heads and shortly after murmurs of annoyance spread through the small area. Peony paid no mind, the only opinions that mattered were Constance's and Rarity's. "Say her name. I don't want to go to jail."

     "She was just lonely," Diesel reminded her.

     "I'm lonely."

     "But... we're married."

     "I was making a point." Peony scoffed at the Ampharos who came by. "I'll pay later," she said with a dismissive wave. "If I forget, go bother Rarity." The Granbull rose from her seat, grabbing Diesel by the paw before he could ask for a frappe.

     Watching the two depart are a Glameow, and her Purugly brother, Thelonious. The Purugly even being outside is a sight to behold. "Getta load of that, Theo!" Liam slams her paws on the table, startling her brother who was taking his fiftieth nap of the morning.

     "What?" Theo snorts. "The whole Nightshade thing?" Liam nods erratically. "Rarity was the one who let her stay here. We won't get in trouble."

     "What!?" Thelonious winces and rubs his ears when her voice reaches its highest pitch. "How come I didn't know!?"

     Theo yawns, nodding at the Ampharos who delivers their drinks. Two fancy bowls filled with milk. "You're too busy thinking of Hollie." He pulls one of the bowls closer to him with a pudgy paw.