Chapter Thirty: The Final Petal Falls

┌────────∘°❉°∘ ────────┐

In Victorian times, 

Aconite symbolized hatred 

└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══

Leafeon stares at Kapua, disappointment clear in her amber gaze. He opens his mouth to speak, but Leafeon cuts him off. "Save it for your mother. She's the only one who will give you excuses."

     Kapua's eyes widen with disbelief. "But I helped you!"

     "You assaulted someone," Leafeon hisses. "You didn't have to shoot him in the eye!" The young Salazzle lowers his head in shame and says nothing else. Leafeon wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time he's ever been scolded in his life.

     She bounds over to Nightshade, noting the blood that flows from the large wound in her abdomen. The snow below her has turned a bright scarlet. "Oh no..." Leafeon's words come out as nothing more than a breathless whisper. She rolls Nightshade onto her back, whispering apologies when the Salazzle whimpers in pain. She covers the wound with her paws to stop the blood flow, but her paws are much smaller than Prince's claws, so her best efforts fail to do much of anything.

     Her gaze flits upward, landing on the Salazzle that was so eager to 'help' just mere moments ago. If Kapua can stab someone multiple times, he shouldn't have an issue with blood. Instead of rushing over to help like she'd envisioned, he backs away from them. Fear darkens his once dauntless expression and he practically tucks his tail between his legs. "Kapua," Leafeon says loudly, trying to snap him from his daze.

     Mercy runs past him and kneels beside Leafeon. "She's bleeding." When Leafeon doesn't acknowledge her, she follows her stare and scoffs. "Stop staring at the kid." Mercy pushes Leafeon's paws away and covers the wound herself, letting out a groan of exasperation when blood sneaks its way onto the snow. "Don't be surprised if he's as messed up as his mother."

     Leafeon watches Kapua. "That's sad," she mutters.

     "Do you know what'll be more sad?" Mercy barks, drawing Leafeon's attention. "If his mother dies from blood loss—help me!"

     Leafeon bites back a growl. "What did you think I was doing?!" She covers the wound with her paws once more. "It's still not helping," she mutters under her breath.

     "You were playing mommy," Mercy comments. She rips off a tattered piece of Nightshade's dress and wraps it around the wound. "That should do... For now." She wipes her paws in the snow and picks up the torpid Salazzle. "Can we go before Prince Charming comes after us again?"