Interlude: Broken Ohana

It's all my fault

It's all my fault...
Isn't it?

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══

     A winged Salazzle stood atop the highest peak of her volcano home. The sun was beginning to sink on the horizon. She watched with insipid interest as the few Salandit scurried back inside the caves. She stared at the now barren rock, lost in thought, before remembering she had something to do.

     The Salazzle spread her wings and soared to the trial site, where two kids were lingering. The boy, who had been yawning before the battle had started, was lazily making his way down the path. The girl, on the other hand, was still talking to Kiawe.

     "Are you sure I can't have her? I'll take good care of her." The girl held up her left hand and made an 'x' over her chest with the other. "Cross my heart."

     Kiawe laughed and a few Marowak gathered around him. "You can't catch a Totem."

     "Well, what about one with wings?" The girl reached into her bag and pulled out a Dusk Ball. "I spent all day looking for a female Salandit. I woulda done this tomorrow, but Hau said I was taking too long."

     Before Kiawe could say anything, the boy's voice sounded from the path below. "Miracle! Hurry up! I'm hungry!"

     The girl groaned. "I'll come back tomorrow!" she said in a hurry. She nearly left her Mudbray in the rush to meet up with her friend.

     Violet landed beside Kiawe, who was scratching his head. "Strange girl," he muttered to himself. He then turned to Violet and the three Marowak. "Now's a good time as any to call it a day."

     The Marowak smiled and nodded in agreement. Violet couldn't quite share their sentiments. Her gaze was focused on the array of colors that lit up the sky. "She'll come home soon." Kiawe's voice disconnected her from her thoughts. "She always was the adventurous type."

     For the remainder of the evening, Violet spent her time with Kiawe. She followed behind him like an obedient Stoutland. It was behavior that was unusual even for her. Violet wasn't ready to return to her Kingdom. It wasn't rare that the Queen would wait until the dead of night to sneak her way to her cave.

     Her time with Kiawe came to an end when he had to return home. Violet followed him without hesitation, only to be led back when he noticed she was hovering behind him. "You have to stay here, Violet. You'll get to see me again tomorrow." He smiled at her. "It's just like any other day."

     Violet stared at him for a while before turning her head up to the sky. The stars weren't out yet. She looked back at Kiawe and put on her best smile. He could never say no to her patented smile. "Tomorrow," he said softly.

     The Salazzle watched crestfallen as Kiawe walked away. Stars speckled the sky as it began to darken. Violet let out a breath and reached for her necklace. "What do I do, Baba?" A tranquil still had settled over the Volcano Park. The muffled conversations from the caverns created a welcome ambiance.