⇷ seven ⇸

⇸

Delilah smiled tightly, ready for her to glare and make a scene. She never read that type of person on Emery, but she never knew. But what she got in return was not what she was expecting. It was a sweet smile that reached her eyes. "Hi, Delilah! How are you doing?"

"I'm alright." She answered slowly.

"That's good." She walked out of the way and next to her. "I'm headed out, but go ahead and go in."

"Uh, thanks."

Emery smiled, but then she started to analyze her. "Delilah, I heard about what happened between you, Jocelyn, and Jake." Delilah put her head down in shame. "It's not exactly your fault. Jocelyn isn't in the right head space at the moment. Her and Jake are in a fragile state." Emery touched her shoulder. "And you're trying to fix something that you think needs fixed. I commend that. But once this is over, you need to get out of it, alright?" Delilah nodded, "Alright. I'm headed to the store. Do you need anything?"

"No, I'm good, thanks."

"Of course. See you when I get back."

She watched as Emery left and then she turned back to the door. This was it, she thought. She walked in the home, closing the door quietly. She looked around and found the Kiszka siblings, excluding Ronnie, sitting in the living room. Sam was the first to see her and gave her his sweet smile. She couldn't resist it and smiled back with the same gusto, "Hey, Delilah!"

"Hi Sam. Josh." She nodded to him and then looked over at Jake. "Jake."

He smiled and stood up, setting a book down. So, he's a book reader. "Hey. Did Arlo like his present?"

"He did." Delilah chuckled at her memory. "He would have stayed up building it if it wasn't for Dad. He had to physically take all the pieces so that he would go to sleep. It was actually pretty funny to watch."

Jake smiled happily, "Good! I'm glad he liked it so much."

"I was wondering what that box was." Josh stated. "So, your little bro likes legos, huh?"

Delilah nodded, "As much as I love books."

Josh nodded, "Very cool."

An awkward silence started until Jake broke it, "So, you wanted to talk?"

"Uh, yeah." She swallowed nervously. Her mouth was starting to become dry. "Do you have a private spot?"

"Yeah, let's head outside. We have a nice backyard with a hanging chair." He lead her to the backyard and it was a pretty yard with big trees and green grass. "This is where Emery and Josh are deciding to get married at. We don't exactly have a fence so it goes straight into the 'forest' as we call it."

"It's pretty. I haven't seen a lot of green in my whole life."

"Oh, right. You moved from the big city huh."

Delilah nodded, sitting down on the chair. Jake followed suit and pushed it with his long legs. "Yeah."

"May I ask why?"

She smiled, "Maybe I'll tell you soon."

"A secret, is it?"

"Something like that." She didn't want to ruin this peace that they had created. But she had too. "Jake, about yesterday."

"Ah, how is your arm?"

"It's fine. It just looks bad. But what I wanted to talk about was that yesterday you kinda freaked out -" He breathed out but she put her hand up to stop him. "Let me finish. You freaked out without really listening to what happened. And it made me feel like I was starting something between you and Jocelyn. And that made me feel so guilty."

Jake looked crushed and moved forward, resting his elbows on his knees. His long fingers ran over his lips. "Delilah, I'm sorry I made you feel like that. That wasn't my intention. I should have listened. I just." He breathed out.

"You just what?" She spoke softly.

"Me and Jocelyn. It feels like we're just spiraling out of control, you know. We never really meant to get in a relationship, but I guess I read it wrong. I had broken up with my girlfriend before her and I was broken and.." he trailed off.

"And she was there."

Jake nodded. "I like Jocelyn. A lot. She's fun and she has fire. But when she's angry, I get angry and it's this circle of anger and love."

"Then you should communicate about what you're feeling. Most of the problems is because both of you are not listening and I think you're both expecting that you'll read each other's minds."

He leaned back and breathed out, "You're right. And just like I did with you, I haven't been listening. I'm so sorry about what happened yesterday."

"Thank you.. Did you and Jocelyn talk about it?"

He nodded, pushing his hair back, "We got into a fight. And right now we're not exactly talking. I didn't listen and it was just horrible." He shook his head, a look of regret flashing in his eyes. She touched his arm, rubbing it in sympathy.

"Then you'll need to talk to her about it and apologize."

He smiled at her one sidedly. "Thanks, Delilah."

"And thanks as well." Jake and Delilah became quiet, just listening to the birds. He liked quiet, which was different than Jocelyn. Opposites attract, she thought. She hoped that they would both take each other back and have a good relationship. But something in the back of her mind made her feel sad about it. She didn't understand why, so she mentally shook it away and continued to watch the clouds change color.

Suddenly, the door opened with Emery and Josh behind it. "Hey, you two! Are you guys hungry? I got some stuff to make sandwiches."

Delilah smiled and stood, "I should head back home."

"No, stay and have dinner with us." Jake said, "Please."

She agreed, "Fine. Since you said please."

She caught Josh and Emery look at each other, like they were communicating with just a look.  Hopefully, whatever they were thinking was good. "Well, great!" Emery stated. "Let's eat!" Jake gestured after Emery left and she followed her.

Suuuupppprrrriiissseeee

So I thought I'd start updating twice a week now, if you guys are okay with that lol 😆