⇷ sixteen ⇸

Thank you for all the comments in the last chapter!! I loved them

Enjoy!

Everywhere was shadows, and there was no light that she could find. Her heart was beating loudly in her ears as she called out, but it felt like it didn't leave her mouth. It felt like someone was covering it. Her adrenaline was rushing and she couldn't find anyone.

Something passed by her and she turned, but there was nothing. And then another shadow. And another. She was going in circles. The first person she did see was Arlo. Every time she got close enough, he was ten steps ahead.

Then the scenery changed and she was in front of a large, black hole. She turned to find a way to get as far as she could, but she came face to face with her family. Arlo smiled before he pushed her into the hole. She couldn't scream and just as she hit the ground, she woke up.

She breathed harshly, sweating. She couldn't move for a second. She felt something touch her arm and she flinched away from it. "It's just me." Jake whispered.

"Jake?" That's when she realized that she wasn't in her house or her room.

"Yes, darlin'." He moved around until he got comfortable. "You fell asleep after you told us the...news." She huffed out a breath, "Ronnie was already asleep, so I kinda put you in my room."

She smiled, "Thanks, Jake."

"Your welcome. How are you doing?"

"I don't know. I just still can't believe what happened. I came in the house expecting to just go to my room and then sleep. But then I saw that. It was disgusting. And every time I think about the past with my father, I feel sick." She shook her head, shaking any feeling away.

"Oh, Darlin', I'm so sorry." She moved into his arms and snuggled. He held her close.

"I don't know what to do. I'm so confused." She whimpered against his chest, gripping his shirt in her fist.

"It's gonna be okay." He hushed her. "First, you should talk to your mom about it. He doesn't want you to, so do it."

She chuckled at the idea of rebelling, "So go against him, huh?"

"Why not, yeah?" She nodded. "How long has he been cheating?"

"Before Arlo was born."

"Then is Arlo...?"

"His."

"Geez, Delilah.."

"I know."

"Let's get some sleep, if you can. I'll stay awake."

She smiled softly, "Can you play a song on your guitar?"

"Hm? Of course. What would you like me to play for you?" He touched her elbow, and she moved away from him. She watched as he stood up, and turned on the lamp next to his bed. She blinked at the sudden light, but rested her head against his pillow.

"Mm, whatever you'd like."

"Flower Power? I think that applies to you, Darlin'." She smiled into the pillow, away from him, but glanced his way. She watched as he played with his guitar before softly strumming away at the strings.

"I like it." She murmured.

"Good." She could hear the smile as she slowly started to fall asleep. She blinked quickly so she could stay awake to listen, but her body relaxed and she could no longer stop herself.

When she woke up, she felt refreshed and happy. She couldn't remember the dream she had during Jake's melody, but she knew it was a good one. She stretched, looking around. She stopped when she saw a familiar body sitting at the edge of the bed.

Delilah frowned as she read Ronnie's body language. "Ronnie? What's wrong?" She looked at her, with red eyes.

"I'm so sorry."

"What.. What are you sorry about?" Delilah sat up, pushing the black comforter away from her. She sat close to Ronnie.

"For not being there for you. I wasn't there and I should be." Ronnie leaned over and put her head on Delilah's shoulder.

"Oh, Ron. You are here for me. You've always been there." Delilah hugged her tightly. "Jake told you?" She nodded. "How much?"

"Everything." Ronnie pulled away, looking alarmed. "But it's not his fault. I can nag and nag sometimes. I could tell something was off, you know. And I knew you wouldn't tell me until you were ready and sometimes you are never ready. I worry about you. But you and Jake are so close..." She stopped to breath in deeply.

Delilah smiled, "Ronnie, it's okay. I trust you and Jake told me that I needed to tell you anyway." Ronnie breathed out. "I should be the one who's sorry. I guess I didn't tell you because I've always done things on my own. Ever since I learned that I was adopted, I've felt like I needed to protect myself. If my birth parents didn't care about me, then who would."

"You're adoptive parents.." Ronnie added.

"You would think that's what I'd think, huh. But," She shrugged, "I didn't. I don't know. I just thought that. And then when I got cancer, I had to go through it on my own. I hid my pain from my family. Just kept a smile on my face. And when they were gone, I'd cry myself to sleep." Delilah shook her head, smiling bitterly. "They'd say that I was so strong. But I never thought so either."

"Delilah... you are strong. You're going through something right now and you have a brave face. I don't know what I'd do if my dad was cheating." Ronnie shivered, looking disgusted.

"You'd have your family on your side."

"Does.. your mom know?"

"No. But I've decided that I'm going to tell her. Today."

Ronnie nodded. "See, strong."

"Oh, stop. You know you're my best friend and that I love you right?"

"I love you too."

"I'm sorry for not telling you. I will tell you everything from now on."

"Okay." Ronnie smiled big, "Except, don't tell me stuff about you and Jake together. I don't need to hear it." She stuck her tongue out and gagged, making Delilah laugh, pushing her away.

"Okay, okay."

Ronnie stood up, grabbing Delilah's arm, "Come on, let's eat. Mom made pancakes."