⇷ eight ⇸

⇸

The next two months were quicker than she wanted. She wanted to enjoy the warmth just a little longer. Now, it was fall and the trees were changing colors. She loved that too. It just meant that the snow was coming and she had never really been around snow long enough to know how to drive in it or survive through the winters.

After she spoke to Jake about communication, he had talked to Jocelyn. She came up to her the next time at work and apologized again and thanked her. "If you hadn't talked to Jake, we wouldn't have gotten back together again. Thank you so much. We're still going through talking and we are even talking to a therapist about it."

Delilah could only smile about it. She was happy for them. That's what she kept saying to herself. She was happy for them. But really, she was jealous. She didn't know why. Maybe because the relationships that she saw, they all looked happy and satisfied.

Was she really happy? Was she faking herself out? She had questioned herself the same questions for those months and she still had no answer for them. She smiled and she talked to people. She looked happy in the mirror. But did she feel happy?

All these questions were starting to exhaust her. She hated questioning herself. And was nervous to even talk to her parents about it. What if's were flowing in her head. She felt like she had no one with her.

The door opened, letting the breeze in. She looked up and Jake walked in with a strawberry-banana smoothie in his hands. "Afternoon, Delilah."

"Afternoon." She greeted, while he handed the drink to her. "Thank you."

"Your welcome. I thought you might need it, since you have all the work now." Jocelyn had quit after her and Jake started going to couples therapy.

"I'm used to it. I worked here before she started, so I can handle it." She took a sip of her drink.

He stuffed his hands in his pockets, "Don't overwhelm yourself."

"Yeah, I gotcha. Oh! You're book that I ordered for you came in today." She bent down to grab it and then handed it to him. "I found it on sale, which is great. But who sells this kind of book."

Jake laughed as he took the book, "The kind of person who sells books, Dee."

"Sure, sure. But this is a collectible, it should be on the shelf and being read. I don't know. I'm weird."

"Yes, you are."

"Hey!"

"What? You said it."

"I did, but you didn't need to agree."

"Don't worry. I like you being weird." Her heart thumped when he said like. Obviously, there was no romantic feelings between the two. Well, that's also what she started telling herself. He started coming in, asking for book suggestions and since she was a book nerd she had given him plenty of suggestions.