⇷ twenty ⇸

⇸

Delilah sat in her car, her heart pulsating in her chest. She was nervous and wished that she didn't have to confront her own mother. She hated this. She whined out a cry, putting her head on the steering wheel while gripping it with her hands. "Why." Thump. "Do." Thump. "I have." thump. "To do this." Thump.

She sighed, "Delilah, grow up." before she could give up, she was out of the car and walking to the front door. She knocked on it, hoping that her mother was the only person there.

She was greeted by her mother, who was surprised. Her eyebrows went up and her eyes widened, before it settled into a soft smile, "Delilah, come in. You didn't have to knock."

Delilah shrugged, "It felt odd to just go in."

"Well, it's good to see you again." She pushed the door wider, allowing her daughter to come in. They both walked to the kitchen, sitting at the table. They were both quiet, waiting for someone to talk first. "You should come back, home, sweetie." She began. "I don't want you bothering Karen and Kelly. They have enough kids as it is."

"Before we talk about that, there something else that needs to be said."

"Oh? What is it?"

Delilah sat up straighter, setting her shoulders back. "Tell me again why you had to stay with Marlon. Especially if you knew."

"Marlon? Sweetie that's disresp-"

"Mom, please."

Daisy huffed, "I wanted to make sure that you and Arlo had a father. You were just a baby when I found out. And I knew when you got to an age that I'd end it, but then Arlo came into the picture... I had to accept what he was doing."

Delilah bit her lip, gripping her hands because of nerves, "..Did you know that Arlo is Rose's and Marlon's."

Daisy looked at her as if she had grown to heads, "What."

"He told me -"

"So, it's hearsay!" Her voice had grown tight, and became higher. "Delilah, I thought I taught you better than that."

"Mom," Delilah stayed as calm as she could. "Listen to me for a second. Dad-" she shook her head, "Marlon told me the day I caught them. And you knew that they were going to run, but did you know that that was the reason?" Her mother was in shock, but Delilah gripped her mother's hand for support. "Mom, you deserve to be happy. More than anyone in the whole world." Delilah smiled. "You have taken care of me and Arlo so well. You've sacrificed everything for us. But it's time to find someone who is willing to make you happy and take care of you. If not, then I'll take care of you."

Daisy sniffed as tears fell. It was heartbreaking to see her mother cry. She was always a sweet woman that kept a smile on her face at all times. Delilah felt like she should have seen her suffering instead of thinking of herself. "You've gotten so strong." Daisy cried out. "I've tried to be happy for you and Arlo. That's all I wanted for you. I thought that if you were happy, everything else I have been through would be worth it."