⇷ seventeen ⇸

⇸

Jake put her car in park in front of her home. She stared at it, seeing that both of her parents were home. She grimaced and then looked at Jake. "I'm scared."

Jake grabbed her hand and smiled. "I can go in with you if you'd like." Delilah rolled her lips, biting the inside of her cheeks. She looked back at the house and then huffed.

"No," she gripped his hand and then let go. "I should do this alone. But, you'll be out here when I come back, yeah?"

"Of course, Darlin'. It gives you an excuse to leave too." He winked at her, making her smile.

"Thank you." She breathed in then out before getting out of the car and walking to the front door. It felt like she was walking slow, but her heart was racing like crazy. She was surprised that she hadn't died that second.

When she opened the door, flashes of what she saw came to her and she wanted to run. Being with Jake spoiled her, and she felt happy and carefree. She forgot about her problems.

She heard someone in kitchen and stepped closer inside the house. Her parents were in the kitchen, but Arlo was nowhere to be seen. Her father makes eye contact, but said nothing. It was like he was a predator, waiting to see if his prey would run towards or away. She closed her eyes for a millisecond and then stood a little taller, squaring her shoulders. She wasn't going to run. No, she was going to fight back.

Her mother turned away from the stove and smiled brightly at her, "Delilah, sweetie! How was your sleepover?"

"It was great. We just went to bed and talked most of the night."

"How fun. How was the festival? We didn't get to go." She stayed as she flipped an egg.

"Fun. Um, mom.."

"Hm?"

"Can I talk to you in private?"

Her mother looked at her confused, but nodded, "Sure. Just let me finish with breakfast. Is everything alright?"

Delilah just nodded, even if it was definitely not right. She waited until her mother put food on the plate and in front of Arlo. "Honey," she spoke to Marlon. "can you get Arlo's cereal and everything while I talk to Delilah?"

"Sure." He smiled and kissed her cheek.

Delilah grimaced, but took her mother's hand, leading her to her room. Once they were in the room, she shut the door and then looked at her mother. Daisy smiled and sat on the desk chair.

"What is it sweetie?"

Her heart, once again, was beating out of her chest. She gripped her hands, wringing them over and and over. "Last night, I came home."

"Oh, yes. Your father told me."

Delilah nodded, "And I saw something that... that was wrong." She swallowed, pulling her hands even tighter. Daisy grabbed her hands, looking at her.

"It's okay, sweetie. Take your time."

"Dad," Daisy's eyebrows went up. "he's.. he's cheating on you with Rose."

"Huh?"

"And apparently it happened before Arlo. And he said that he was going to leave you and if it hadn't been for her abusive- boyfriend-husband-whatever he was." She breathed out harshly, rolling her lips, and blinking away tears. Her mother looked shocked but then shook it off. Daisy rolled her own lips and then looked at her and away. Delilah gasped, "You knew." She pulled her hands away.

"I did."

"And you stayed?" Delilah couldn't fathom any of it. "Why?"

"Delilah," she sighed. "You and Arlo both needed a father. I couldn't keep you away from him. And you were going through a time that you needed both of your parents."

"I would have understood." Delilah whispered. "He's been cheating on you. How can you be okay with that."

Daisy smiled sadly, "In his own way, he loves me."

Delilah's heart broke apart, "No, mom. He doesn't. If he did, even in his own way, he would have never cheated on you."

Daisy smiled, "Maybe not. But this is what I have to do. Especially for Arlo, sweetie. You're all grown up."

"What Arlo needs is stability. What if he found them instead of me. That would have been way worse."

Daisy shook her head, "You're not a mother. So you wouldn't understand. Delilah, sweetie, let it go."

"No, I'm not going to let it go! Mom!"

"Delilah!" She used her mom voice against Delilah. "I know you may feel like I'm not happy. But I am. If you don't like it, then leave. Let's go eat breakfast."

Delilah put her head down to collect herself. When she looked up, her blue eyes that looked like the sky had turned darker. "Then I'll be leaving."

"...Delilah.."

"I'm sorry. But you know, you taught me that if I ever found someone who was good enough to be in a relationship with, then he needed to respect me. But here you are, being with someone who doesn't. But if it makes you happy, fine. But I can't watch." She started to pack another bag, filling it with everything she thought she needed.

"Sweetie... wait. Where will you stay?"

"With Jake. Until I find a place."

"Jake? Really? Are you too?"

"What does it matter." She zipped it closed and walked out of her room. She stopped when she saw Arlo standing in his room, looking at his legos. "Hey, Bubba."

"Hey," he smiled brightly. "Do you see my new legos! Mom and I got them yesterday."

"I do. They're amazing." She became quiet for a second. "Bubba? You know I love you, right?"

He frowned, "Yeah. I love you too."

Delilah smiled, "I'm gonna leave for awhile. But I'll be close and we'll still do things, okay?"

Arlo fully turned to look at her, "Why are you leaving? Is it because of me?"

"No, goodness no. It's because," she breathes out. "It's because there is something between me and our parents that I disagree about. I can't stay. Also, don't you think I'm too old to be living here." She joked.

"Okay."

"This is not about you." She grabbed him by the shoulders. "I love you so much!" She hugged him tightly. "And I'm here for you forever."

"I know." He pulled away with a smile. "I understand."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

She leaves without saying goodbye to her parents, too angry to say anything at all. She walks to the car, throwing her things in the back seat.

Jake frowns, "Not good?"

"No." She shook her head, gripping the seat. "Can I stay for awhile? Until I find a new place?"

Jake turns the car on and puts it in drive, "Yeah, however long you want."