⇷ conclusion: twenty five ⇸

ZERO

ZERO...

A Year Later

Today was her last chemotherapy and radiation treatment. Her cancer had slowly been eaten away. However, this would not be the last time that she would see the doctor's. She would have to go in for another test, to really see if she was cancer-free.

Jake was driving, his fingers drumming against the wheel as they waited for the light to turn green. She looked at herself in the mirror. She lost her hair, everywhere. She was wearing a brightly colored bandanna - red because it reminded her of him - over her hairless head. It took her awhile to accept herself and think of herself as beautiful. She loved her hair. It made her feel complete.

But Jake had made her feel beautiful, even after she had lost it.

When he found her wig that she had bought, he had told her, "No matter what you look like, Delilah, I'm still going to love you." Those words had kept her going and kept showing how much he loved her.

Her mother found out a few days after Jake had. And she was devastated. But Arlo stood tall for his mother and was encouraging. "She fought it last time, she can fight it again. And she'll win."

Arlo was her little monster and her savior.

Their father hadn't talked to them at all. After he signed the papers, Rose and Marlon were gone. They never heard a word from him and that disappointed Arlo. He still loved his father. And Delilah knew that he needed a father figure in his life. At the moment, that was Jake.

It taught her that Jake would be a great father. She could see them having children after that. Now, she wondered if she could have kids. And when he held Josh and Emery's twins, she really wanted to give him what he wanted.

Jake took her hand in his, kissing it with tenderness. "What are you thinking in that pretty head of yours?"

She smiled quickly, "Mm, just thinking about everything that we've been through over the year."

"Yeah, that wedding was crazy."

She chuckled, "I thought it was beautiful, especially how elegant Emery looked."

"She was. But I think you'd be even more beautiful in white." He glanced at her, before looking back at the road. She smiled, squeezing his hand.

They were engaged, but hadn't told anyone yet. They wanted it to be a surprise, especially when she told everyone she was going to be cancer-free. As cancer-free as she could get anyways.

The doctors that she had told her that her odds were good, so she kept that as a hope. And now, it was going to end.

After the doctor's appointment, she was exhausted. Radiation was painless because of the anesthesia, but that was what made her feel sick. So, the drive back was always hard for her. Jake held her hand the whole entire time.