e l e v e n

CHAPTER WARNING! If the term "cock cage" and its explanation make you nervous, then please skip this chapter. FYI: the term "cock cage" does not refer to roosters or other animals being caged.

The moment Josh stepped back onto campus after returning from the worst game of his entire career, he wanted to see Lauren. Begging wasn't beneath him. The team returned early Sunday evening, giving him to time to drop by The Bitter Night to see her. He needed her. He missed her. He fucking loved her, and he needed to be near her.

But Mikey and Aaron ordered him to give Lauren space and time, and Josh knew his teammates were right. He was even mentally kicking himself for falling so fast for someone he barely knew because the past week without seeing or texting her had been pure fucking hell.

Josh felt like pure shit letting his personal issues interfere with football. Aaron was upset with himself for assuming Lauren would be down for a threesome and hated himself even more for not standing up for her when Josh turned into a gigantic douche. Mikey blamed himself for becoming so intoxicated and a burden.

Their guilt haunted them all week leading up to the big game that they barely won. Josh felt shame and grateful toward the teammates that stepped up to cinch the win. He was completely ashamed of his poor performance and for letting his teammates and fans down. But Josh was thankful his teammates had his back even when he was at his worst.

As soon as Josh walked into the dorm room, he immediately crashed on the futon and mentally berated himself for being such an asshole.

"Dude, call your parents," Mikey grumbled, dropping his bags at the door and climbing into his bed. "They keep calling me and asking what's going on."

Fuck, Josh thought miserably, fishing out his phone from his jacket pocket. He actually had powered down the damn thing as the coach yelled at the team in the locker room for a disappointing performance.

He groaned as his phone came to life, indicating hundreds of missed voicemails, emails, and texts. But none were from Lauren. Josh hoped for a miracle, but deep down, he knew she wouldn't reach out.

Even though the message wasn't from Lauren, one text stood out among what seemed like a million and made Josh sit up and read more carefully. Everett. His former roommate. Lauren's friend.

Everett: You me Mikey Aaron Friday night

Huh? Josh thought, furrowing his brows.

Considering Everett also mentioned Mikey and Aaron, Josh desperately hoped Lauren was behind the unexpected boys night out. More than likely Everett knew the team didn't have a game Saturday, meaning they could stay out as long as they wanted to Friday night.

Without talking to Mikey or Aaron first, Josh quickly replied with a simple "sure" and laid back down on the futon with a huge smile. As he scrolled through other missed messages, Everett texted again.

Everett: Cool. Meet by Dumpster behind the bar.

If The Bitter Night was "the bar" Everett mentioned, Josh knew Lauren was somehow involved and he would probably see her at the end of the week. He didn't believe she would reject him in front of his friends, completely breaking his heart and deservedly humiliating him. Lauren might be tough and focused, but she wasn't cold and calculated.

After feeling being completely fucked all weekend, Josh held onto the little bit of hope in Everett's text. Hoped Josh would see her again. Hoped she would give him a second chance. Hoped she wouldn't unknowingly break his heart.

 Hoped she wouldn't unknowingly break his heart