f o u r t e e n

"I think I'm going to be sick," Lauren admitted, holding a few fingers against her glossed lips and resting her elbows on the round wooden table in her favorite Chinese restaurant.

"You're gonna be fine, honey," Everett reassured her, gently rubbing her back. "James and Heidi are really nice."

When Josh had asked her about meeting his family after giving her probably the best orgasm of her life, Lauren had agreed before she drifted off to sleep. She vaguely remembered her answer after her nap, but instead of accusing him of some sort of subterfuge, she plastered on a brave face and confirmed her orgasm-induced response had been genuine.

While Josh's parents and twin sisters watched the game at the stadium, Lauren and Everett caught snippets at the bar, serving the afternoon game crowd and agreeing to meet Josh and his family for dinner later.

Lauren was relieved when Josh mentioned he also invited Everett to dinner because his parents loved his former roommate and wanted to catch up with him. And Everett happily accepted the invitation even if it meant dodging or ignoring the flirtatious smiles and looks from the twins.

"At least everyone will be in a good mood," Everett offered, taking a sip of water from his glass. "The Ravens absolutely crushed the Cougars today."

"Mmm hmm," Lauren replied absentmindedly, desperately hoping her nerves would soon start to fade.

She never met a significant other's parents before because her ex-girlfriend, Jessica, didn't get along with her parents and none of Lauren's past flings led to anything serious.

What would happen if Josh's parents didn't like her? What if his sisters made fun of her? Would his parents pretend she wasn't there and only focus on Josh and Everett? What were teens into these days besides social media? What if his sisters mocked her sense of fashion? How would Lauren explain she dressed for comfort – jeans, leggings, T-shirts, and sweaters – and for her work at the bar?

Even though her nerves made her a little jumpy, Lauren felt moderately confident dressed in skinny jeans, a white loose V-neck shirt, and a pale pink long sleeve cardigan. Her light brown hair looked relaxed with loose natural waves. And Everett remained handsome as ever in casual jeans and a gray long sleeve Henley shirt.

"Lauren, relax," he said, draping an arm over the back of her wooden chair. "His parents are super nice, and I'm pretty sure his sisters will be obsessed with you."

She frowned at his last statement. "Obsessed? Like obsessively hating me?"

He threw his head back and laughed loudly. "Obsessed because you're cool. You're a bartender that doesn't take shit from anyone."

"I can't help it," Lauren whined, squirming in her seat. "I've never met someone's parents before."

"Trust me, Ren. His family will adore you."

"How can you be so sure? Have you met any of your girlfriends' parents?"

"Again, his parents are laid back and easygoing," Everett explained patiently. "They're not monsters or high society snobs. They're from Iowa for god's sake. And yes, I have met some parents and charmed the pants off them."

Lauren raised a brow. "Literally?"

"Have you looked at me?" he demanded mockingly, dramatically waving one hand up and down his masculine frame. "One, I'm charming as fuck. Two, of course, lonely divorced women will wanna try to hit this."

She rolled her eyes and leaned back in her chair, scrubbing any and all images of older women hitting on their daughters' sexy boyfriend.

"Hey, guys," Josh greeted, smiling widely as he approached the table with his family. "Thanks for grabbing a table. This place gets packed on the weekends."