Ⅱ. 𝕋𝕙𝕖𝕚𝕣 ℙ𝕣𝕠𝕞𝕚𝕤𝕖

Third Person POV...

10 years ago(They were five)

It was dark, snowing, and the crybaby Yuno and headstrong [Name] were asked to deliver a letter to the mayor by Father Orsi. They were on their way, and unbeknownst to them, they were being watched.

While they were running, Yuno suddenly tripped and fell into the snow. [Name] was still running, or so he thought. As he got up and started running again, he was blocked by a man, same as [Name]. Said man was drunk and grumpy after being kicked out of a bar. The man had seen Yuno's necklace and wanted to use it for pocket money.

[Name], however, wasn't having it as she struggled and kicked. Her ring, which was on a string in her shirt, had flopped out when she ran into him, which caught the mans' eyes. Now Yuno, being the scared kid he was, didn't know what to do as the man grabbed both [Name]s' and his accessories.

"That's mine... give it back..." Yuno feebly said.

"Kids like you don't deserve something like this. Thanks for the pocket money, brats. And you, stop struggling." He looked down at [Name], still in his grasp. The sight spur on Yuno to create a small wind. However, he didn't dare to attack him. At the sight of this, the man laughs. [Name] seethes, wishing she could use her power as easily as him, but it's simply not possible yet. 

"Do you want to fight with magic and die? Do you really think you and this little girl stand a chance against me with that meek magic?" Yuno flinches back at his grin. Yuno looks at [Name] again who is still struggling.

"Yuno!"

Someone grabs Yuno from the back of his shirt, pulling him away from the man, while Asta ran at the man holding [Name]. He pried her away from him, and it was easier since he was startled. 

"What the-"

"Those belong to them! Give it back!" Asta demanded. The man raised his arm and hit Asta back. Asta, being Asta, got back up and again tried to grab the necklace. Again and again, Asta tries and fails. Yuno and [Name] could only watch. 

"Fine! You brats, take it back!" The man, exasperated by Asta's perseverance, throws their necklaces down. 

"Thank you, Asta. Are you alright?" Yuno asks Asta. [Name] nods her head in worry as Asta laid on his back in the snow.

"I'll... become the Wizard King!"

Yuno and [Name] were rendered speechless at his declaration. Five words that made no sense as a response to 'are you alright'.

"If I'm going to do that, I can't give up on something so small like this! Then you all can have whatever you like, and I'll prove that even poor orphans like us can do something with our lives!" Asta sat up, grinning widely, despite the number of bruises over his small body.

"... Me too," Yuno said with large, twinkling eyes before standing up, Asta also stands up, wiping his face with his sleeve. "I'll become the Wizard King too!" The two looked at her in anticipation.

[Name] looks at them in confusion. It was all going too fast for her, so she needed a minute. After she mulled it over she slowly nods. Getting up from her spot on the ground, she put her fist out.

"I'll be the Wizard Queen! And that means we're all rivals!" They all fist-bumped and their rivalry officially began.

✵✧✶

The house is silent when [Name] walks in. She really hadn't expected anything different. Her parents were always on some work trips that they didn't talk about. Most of the time when they came home, she didn't even know who they were. And since they were gone all the time, the church had basically raised her. She almost wishes she was found with Asta and Yuno.

[Name] shakes her head. She can't dwell on that fact. She was happy with this. She could sing as loud as she wanted and she didn't have many interruptions. And as loud as she is, she's actually a shy singer. But that's not the point. Now that she is here, she can look at her grimoire.

Sitting on the couch, she looks through the pages. A few pages were already full of the magic she's copied before.

[Name] guesses that the first three are Lily's, Yuno's, and Father Orsi's. The third should be that person she copied a few years ago. Maybe I should try to create my own. Sighing, she closes her book and eyes. Yeah, I guess I should go train.

✵✧✶

[Name] breathes heavily. It wasn't supposed to go like this. She was just trying to learn her spells but, of course, something had to happen. [Name] doesn't know whether this is a good or a bad thing. But why in the hell is there a naked, red-haired old man running from a bull? [Name] just sits and looks at the man for a good five minutes. It was amusing, to say the least.

"HEY, LITTLE GIRL! A LITTLE HELP?!" The man calls. [Name] finally snaps out of it and summons a little wind.

"And you can't do this yourself?" She rolls her eyes and throws that bit of wind at the boar. "Whatever, old man."

The bull flies into the air as the man finally gets to take a breather. As the unknown man catches his breath, she feels his mana. Surprisingly enough, he also has Wind Magic. [Name] reaches out to the man and holds a hand out.

"You know, you could've taken care of that yourself. I can feel your Mana." [Name] says.

"Well, where's the fun in that? And how was that," he waves his hand at the now-dead boar. "So powerful? You didn't even use a grimoire!" He questions.

"Training. You'll help me." The man looks taken aback as [Name] disregards his question completely. "I'll take it as a thank you for helping you."

"Well, aren't you going to introduce yourself then? I've never taken a student and not known their name." The red-haired man shrugs it off and laughs.

"[L/N]. [Name] [L/N]. And you're the naked old man."

"It's actually Fanzell Kruger, but okay little girl."

[Name] and Fanzell train for the six months and she comes to trust the old man despite not knowing his origins. He has become another father-like figure for her. Other than that, they trained her physical body, her power, and her mana capacity. [Name] also learns swordplay, so that's cool. Once the three months were over though, Fanzell left, wishing her luck on her exams. Where did he go? Well, it was none of her business. 

Six months have passed. The Magic Knights Test begins.

✵✧✶

Words: 1139

Published: September 14th, 2020

Edited: 15 mar 2022