Chapter 01

The first day of high school started off in a haze for you. None of your friends went to the same school,... actually, no one you knew went. Your middle school had been a school that had a bad reputation and people often acted as if only the scum of the city went there.

Shiratorizawa was a prestigious school and students from your middle school rarely made it in. Your exceptionally high grades however had given you the opportunity to attend nonetheless.

You had been reluctant to take the entrance exam, but your parents had insisted. They were both very busy running their own businesses and thought it would be good for you if you could stay at the dorms of a high school.

You couldn't help but wonder if they actually thought it would be good for you or if it was just the easier option for them.

In any case, here you were. Your suitcase had already been delivered to your dorm room the day before and your parents had dropped you off this morning with a cheerful 'See you this weekend!'.

Nothing of their cheerful mood had rubbed off on you as you stood in the courtyard waiting for orientation to start. 

It took an hour for it to be over and done with and you were finally split into your classes to make your way to your classroom. As soon as that happened you noticed that there was someone that you knew after all. It was hard to miss him with his fiery red hair.

You remembered Tendou from when you were still in elementary school. You had spent three years in the same class as him and you felt a sense of shame creep up on you at the memories.

Even at that young age, Tendou had been the victim of bullying. You had never taken part in it, of course. One time you had even stood up for him, but a teacher had actually taken you aside. She had told you that you shouldn't do that because you would be bullied as well, along with him. Young as you were, you had taken the teacher's words to heart.

Your older self tried to rationalize that you were a child at the time and that you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. But still, you could not help feeling ashamed for not doing anything to help him.

As you sneaked glances at him now, you noticed that he didn't have anyone to talk to as well and wondered if it was just because his friends attended school somewhere else or that he still didn't have any. You had gone to a different middle school than him and had no idea what had transpired in those three years for him.

The way he just blankly stared ahead of him made you pretty sure that middle school hadn't treated him any better than elementary school had.

When you arrived in the classroom you were all told to find a seat for the year. You soon noticed that the other students were avoiding the seat next to where Tendou had taken place and you made up your mind.

Without further hesitation, you sat down at the desk next to his. He turned away from looking through the window, which he was seated directly next to, and gave you a blank stare before returning his gaze outside, his chin resting in his hand.

You cleared your throat and gathered your courage before calling out to him. "Hey, do you remember me?"

As soon as the words left your mouth you wanted to kick yourself. If he remembered you, he would be reminded of his elementary school days. If he didn't, you would have to explain that you knew him from elementary school, which would then lead to him remembering those days as well.

To your surprise, he nodded and he even remembered your full name. He then proceeded to stare ahead of him as the teacher started explaining all sorts of stuff first years should know.