Chapter 16: The Aftermath

The students had another day off today, and I hadn't spoken to Shota since after the meeting.

He was ignoring me.

I can't even remember the last time I went a day without speaking to him... I had definitely called him more times than I care to admit.

Shota, why are you this upset?

Please don't shut me out...

I was already in bed for the night. We were back in classes tomorrow, and I was still recovering.

I heard my phone buzz.

Hey, it's Hawks. You want to meet up tomorrow to start going over safety plans?

Great, another thing for Shota to be upset about. I sighed and rolled over to go to sleep.

••••

"Good morning, class." I shouted as class 1A started to pile into the gym.

"As you know by now, the Sports Festival will be held next weekend. Preparing for that is our main focus."

"You will spend half your time training your quirk individually, and the other half sparring with classmates."

"Any questions?" I asked.

"Good! Everyone pair up. We'll spar first, determine some of your weaknesses, and you'll focus on improving those during your individual workouts."

I was walking around the gym, watching the various students battle it out.

"I know you're all friends, but stop holding back! You won't be holding back at the festival, I assure you!"

I looked over, impressed by Uraraka's ambition.

"Uraraka! I don't know where this came from, but I love your new sense of determination. Keep it up!" I called over.

Just then, I saw Shota stroll into the gym and walk up to me.

"You do love positive reinforcement." He commented nonchalantly.

I looked at him in disbelief, "So I guess you're talking to me now? I really can't keep up."

"Let's not do this now," he commented.

I looked at him with hollow eyes. Why is he being like this?

"Ok." I replied completely defeated.

I started to patrol the students again. I couldn't let my life be dictated by Shota's mood swings...

••••

A couple hours went by, and it was time for lunch.

"Alright everyone, good work today! We'll pick this back up tomorrow. Everyone can go shower and head to lunch." I announced.

"Midoriya," I called. "Can you hand back for a second."

When the students had cleared, I asked him, "Can you meet me and All Might in the teacher's lounge during lunch?"

"Oh! Of course y/n-sensei!"

"Great. I'll see you soon then." I said with a smile.

As soon as Midoriya exited the gym, Shota approached me.

"Y/n."

I sighed turning to him.

"What's that about?" He asked.

"Midoriya still can't control his quirk... All Might and I are going to talk to him about stepping up his training. We'll start meeting almost daily to train after school," I explained.