Chapter 30: Haunting

"I want to take Shoto and Katsuki," I declared to the group of UA teachers and heroes.

We'd been discussing the practical exam for way too long now. I was ready to go home and finally eat something.

"Not possible," Shota said apathetically.

I snapped my head to him, "And why not?"

"I'm taking Todoroki and Yaoyorozu. All Might is taking Midoriya and Bakugo."

I rolled my eyes and let out a long sigh.

I get it. Shoto and Momo rely too much on their quirks so Shota is going to erase them. And Midoriya and Katsuki... well, they need to learn to play nice.

"Fine," I mumbled. "So annoying."

"Actually, Y/n," Nezu interjected. "How would you feel about just observing?"

"What!? Why?!" I protested.

"Well, they are used to fighting against you. I would prefer them to face someone brand new." he explained.

"Unless you want to fight Kaminari," All Might teased.

Only a couple people laughed as not everyone knew how absolutely terrified I am of electricity quirks.

"Shut it, Toshi. I'm staying far away from that walking phone charger," I huffed defeatedly.

All Might threw his arm around me as he laughed, "Don't worry! I'll take good care of your star student." He gave me a wink.

"He's far from a star student," Shota interjected.

"Hey! Stop making fun of my little king explosion murder!" I whined.

The whole room was laughing now. It was well known that I had become close with Katsuki Bakugo, although very few understood why.

"Children, children. Focus." Nezu teased.

His joke made us all laugh even louder. Nezu never chimed in on our silliness and it sounded so foreign.

As the room quieted down, Present Mic turned to me, "Y/n, you're going to be such a good mom. You're a natural with these kids!"

"Awww," a couple heroes chimed in, partly sincere and partly teasing me still.

"I used to not even want kids! Now, because of this job, I can't wait to have the little bastards!" I stated excitedly.

"As long as they don't come here," Midnight added. "Your kids are going to be so scary!"

"Not true!!"

"Says the girl with glowing eyes," All Might laughed and everyone joined in.

In the middle of the laughs, Shota had moved his hand to my leg and gave me a lite squeeze. As I looked up at him, I saw his eyes were full of love and hope.

My heart fluttered.

"Alright, alright." Nezu interrupted, "I'll see you all bright and early tomorrow morning for the exam!"

••••

Toshinori was walking me home. He hardly let me walk alone these days... It was annoying, but I really enjoyed his company so I didn't protest.

"So, Y/n. You didn't want kids?" he asked.

"Never," I huffed. "But now..." I trailed off, smiling while thinking of all my wonderful UA students.

I sighed happily, "What about you, Toshi? Did you ever really think about having kids?"

"Mmm, not really," he responded. "I adopted a country instead."

I laughed softly. "And Midoriya's kind of like a son." I shrugged

His face turned bright red at the notion and he started stuttering like crazy.

"Calm down, Toshi! I just meant like you took him under your wing and care about him a lot!" I laughed.

"Yea, I know. I just feel bad having a favorite," he admitted.

I nodded empathetically.

"So, you and Shota, huh?" he asked.

It was my turn to be a flustered mess, stumbling over all my words.

"Well, I guess that answers that," he teased with a smirk.

I let out a deep sigh, "Am I absolutely stupid? Or crazy? Or both?"

"Not at all," he assured. "He's head over heels in love with you."

Hearing those words come from my best friend was exactly what I needed.

"What happened with Hawks?" he asked.

"Honestly, I have no idea.... He just stopped talking to me once he left town. If he pops back up though, I'll have to tell him."

He looked just as confused as I felt.

I was actually really worried about Keigo. Is he ok? Was he taken? Or...

I shoved the thought out of my head. We would know if the #3 hero had been seriously injured or worse.

"Y/n," Toshi stated with a serious tone. "There's something I've been meaning to talk to you about."

I looked over at him, suddenly very concerned. "Yes?"

We were about to approach my apartment, so I stopped and sat on a bench, feeling like this would be a long conversation. Toshi took a seat beside me.

"It's... It's about your father."

My eyes grew wide with horror. How does he know who the fuck my father is? He's in prison... and even I don't know which prison he's at.

I stayed silent, not wanting to give myself away, hoping this was all a big misunderstanding.

"Your father's name is Kenji L/n right?"

I snapped my head towards him at the mention of my father's name.

He sighed, "I thought so... Well, he wrote to Nezu. Apparently, he heard about your return and UA teaching position on the news."

"Y/n... there's no easy way to say any of this, but he asked to see you."

My heart sank with those words. Over my dead fucking body will I see that man.

"I did some more digging and it looks like someone from the League might be visiting him in prison... Y/n, do you know a man named Dabi?"

Fuck, this can't be happening right now.

Toshinori turned his head and just looked out in front of him. I could tell he already knew the answer. "I think it's time we talk about your past, Y/n."

I was barely even able to get out a whisper, "What do you need to know?"