Chapter Four: A Civil Conversation

Hermione watched the myriad of expressions cross Malfoy's face after her declaration. There was definitely shock and confusion, but she thought she also saw hope, which disturbed her slightly. Finally, she said, "Malfoy?"

"Draco."

"Pardon?"

"We're going to be stuck together forever, beaver, might as well call me by my first name."

Hermione snorted. It had been a long time since any comment about her teeth had bothered her. "You can't even call me that anymore, ferret. Your little hex is the only reason I have perfect teeth now, you know." She flashed him a bright smile.

Draco's mouth dropped open, and then he snapped it shut with a 'click.' He looked down at their joined hands and muttered, "I forgot about that."

Hermione grimaced. "I didn't."

An awkward silence stretched out between them. Unable to bear it any longer, Hermione asked, "Why are you here, Draco?" His name sounded foreign and bulky in her mouth.

He blinked at her, then smirked. "Well, Hermione, as much as you and I hate this, we are mated."

Hermione felt her face fall at his words, less because they were true, but more because he seemed so disappointed by the fact.

"Madame Pomfrey also asked me to keep you here. Something about the Headmistress."

Hermione nodded, biting her lip in agitation. "So."

"So."

"Did you know I was going to be your mate?" Hermione questioned the blond.

He snorted, and she glared at him. He ignored her. "I had no idea," he grunted. "No fucking clue."

"Well, I'm so sorry for being such a disappointment!" she huffed.

To her confusion, Draco started laughing.

"What's so funny?" Hermione was getting angrier and angrier the more he chortled.

He cocked an eyebrow at her. "I never said you were a disappointment."

Hermione froze mid frown. He hadn't, had he? "Oh. Well, are you disappointed you're with a mudblood for the rest of your life?"

The change in Draco was instantaneous. His eyes darkened, and he literally snarled at her making her jump back and pull her hand away from him. "Do not ever say that word again!"

"What word, 'mudblood'? It is what I am, Malfoy! In case you've forgotten all the times you've called me that!" She pulled up her sleeve and displayed the word carved into her flesh, still raw looking. Draco flinched away from her, his eyes wide.

"No, you aren't."

Hermione laughed high and harsh. "Since when? Huh? Since I became your mate?"

"You never have been!" Draco yelled back, standing so swiftly his chair scooted back. "It's always just been a word I tossed around; I just used it to hurt you, okay? But it's a dirty nasty word, and you aren't it! You never have been!" He was breathing hard by the end of his outburst.

Hermione stared at him as he ran his hand through his hair twice. Sinking back down into the chair, he closed his eyes. "I'm sorry, okay? Just don't use that word."