Chapter Thirteen: Harry Knows

Hermione was surprised when Harry found her after her Arithmancy class, one of the few lessons she didn't share with Draco and pulled her aside into a secluded alcove.

"What's wrong?"

Harry crossed his arms and stared Hermione down.

"What?"

"Is there something you'd like to tell me, 'Mione?"

Hermione felt like cold water had been dumped on her head. "Ummm... no?" In the corner of her mind where Draco lived, she felt a spike of concern, but she ignored it.

"Really? Because it seems to me like you should be telling me that you found your mate." Harry gave her a pointed look. "Or that it's Malfoy."

Staring at Harry in confusion, all Hermione managed to get out was, "How do you know?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "You aren't the only one who can put two and two together. Besides the fact he looks eerily similar to Fleur, he's suddenly hanging around you at every opportunity. I keep tripping on the dude."

Suddenly terrified, Hermione asked, "Does Ron know?"

Harry snorted. "Ron is too mad to get to four, thank god. But he's going to find out eventually, Hermione."

She sighed. "I know. I'm just not ready for the fall out right now."

"I know. But back to the topic at hand – is he treating you okay?" The worry was heavy in his words.

Hermione snorted. "He's still an annoying git, but yea, he does. You know he can't hurt me."

"That's the only thing keeping me sane, to be honest," Harry muttered.

"When did you find out?"

Harry shrugged. "There were lots of little things that finally all fell together. I'm a little offended you didn't tell me, to be honest."

Hermione reached out and grabbed Harry, pulling him into a tight hug. "I'm sorry, I was just scared of how you'd react. He did torment us for years."

"And you've gotten over that?"

Hermione paused. "I didn't get over it because it's not something to get over. But I did move past it. He's changed." She released her best friend and took a step back.

Harry frowned at her. "If you say so."

"I do, and I'm not the Brightest Witch of Our Age for nothing."

Harry rolled his eyes. "I take it the private dorm you have is a shared one with Malfoy?"

Hermione nodded. "It's not that bad, really."

Running footsteps from down the hall put an end to their conversation. Draco appeared sprinting around the corner, and he skidded to a stop in front of the two. "Oh." He had a slightly panicked look on his face.

"Harry knows."

Relief washed over Draco's features. "Oh good, then I can do this." He stepped behind Hermione and wrapped his arms around her, resting his head on the top of hers. Harry stared at them, his eyes wide.

"This is bizarre."

"Tell me about it, Potter."

"Why are you here?" Hermione directed at Draco.

He cleared his throat and said, "You were scared. I panicked. Sorry."

Harry raised an eyebrow.

Hermione felt herself flush. "We can feel each other's emotions."

Harry's mouth fell open. "He's marked you?! Already?!"

Both Hermione and Draco nodded.

"Have you had... you know..." Harry trailed off, looking mortified.

Draco started coughing as Hermione shrieked, "No! And even if we had, that's none of your business Harry Potter!"

"Good, good," he mumbled, looking down at the floor.

Draco released Hermione and stepped around her, so he was facing Potter. "I don't like you, Potter, and I think the sentiment is the same for you. But we're both a part of Hermione's life now, and neither of us are going anywhere anytime soon." He glanced at Hermione, who nodded in confirmation. She wasn't going to get rid of either of them. "So for Hermione, let's call a truce, okay? I don't want to come between you two." He stuck out his hand for Harry to shake.

Harry stared at it for a moment before reaching out and clasping it. "I agree, Malfoy. Truce."

Hermione felt like crying – she was in shock and awe of what she was witnessing. They must care a great deal about her to put aside seven years of hatred.

Draco turned and cupped her face in his hand, looking at her worriedly. "Are you okay?"

Hermione nodded and brushed at a tear that'd escaped. "Yea. Thank you," she told Draco before wrapping him in a quick hug. Letting go, she turned to Harry, who had an amused expression on his face. "What?"

"Nothing. It's just good to see you being taken care of for once instead of doing the taking care of."

Draco smiled at Harry. "She does have a habit of taking care of others with a complete disregard to herself, doesn't she?"

Harry smiled back. "You have no idea. While we were on the run..."

Hermione tuned out and trailed behind the two boys as they exchanged stories at her expense. She didn't even notice the stares and whispers that started when they all walked into the Great Hall together, chatting amiably.

"I'll see you later," Draco said as he strolled over to his table.

Harry and Hermione sat down at their own table, completely oblivious to everyone around them. Their bubble was burst when Ron yelled, "What was that?!"

Both of them jumped.

"What was what?" Harry asked, feigning ignorance.

"Malfoy!" Ron spat, spraying spittle everywhere.

"He's not that bad," Harry said, giving Hermione a sly grin that was lost on Ron.

"He really isn't," Hermione added, coloring.

"Insane! Your both insane!"

"Oh hush, Ronald!" Ginny cut in. "People grow up, and they change."

"Whatever the ferret has you convinced of," he pointed a chicken leg at Harry, "is a lie."

"I'm not going to argue with you, Ron." Harry turned away from him and started loading his plate.

Ron stared at Harry for a moment, fuming, then turned back to his plate.

Out of the corner of his mouth, Harry told Hermione, "Don't ever tell the ferret I think he's not that bad."

Hermione choked on her drink at the sudden glee she felt that was not her own. She turned to look behind her. Draco flashed her a wide smile and winked. Turning back to Harry, she said, "I don't have to; he was listening and heard you."

Harry swore. "Damn Veela hearing."