Chapter Thirty-Nine: St. Mungos

It was only the hands of his friends that kept Draco from diving over the edge after Hermione.

"The stairs," Blaise hissed. Draco stopped struggling and turned around, breaking free of their grasps to sprint down the stairs two at a time.

He reached the bottom eons before anyone else and collapsed next to her prone figure. She'd landed on her back, her glassy gaze staring up at the stars above. There was blood seeping across the ground, soaking into the knees of Draco's patents.

"Is she..." Harry asked, stopping next to her.

"No. I can still feel her heartbeat in my chest. We need to get her help."

Draco didn't know when he'd taken Hermione's hand, but he felt it cool in between his own. Her heartbeat was getting fainter and fainter. Finally, Madame Pomfrey arrived, already casting charms before she'd even stopped moving.

"Mister Malfoy, I'm going to have to move her. Be prepared." Draco let go of Hermione's hand and stood back. As Madame Pomfrey levitated Hermione inside, Draco kept his eyes trained on the blood drops that were quickly covering the flagstones.

Draco didn't know how long he'd been at St. Mungos before the Aurors arrived. He'd had his eyes closed against the blankness of the white waiting room when Blaise, who was sitting on one side of him, and Harry, sitting on the other, nudged him in sync.

"Is the doctor here?" Draco asked groggily, opening his bleary eyes. He was not crying. He was not. Fuck he was crying.

"No, but there are two Aurors here who want to speak to you."

Draco realized two men were standing in front of him, neither of them looking particularly friendly. The taller man grabbed Dracos's arm and tried to drag him up. Draco ripped his arm from the man's grip like it was nothing.

"Whatever you have to say to be, you can say in front of them," Draco growled.

Draco was many things, but he wasn't dumb. He wanted witnesses in case these Aurors, with their sneers, got a little too handsy.

"Fine. Did you or did you not push Ms. Hermione Granger off the astronomy tower?"

The question came like a physical blow. Draco bent over, wheezing. "No," be forced out. "I didn't."

"Lying won't get you anywhere," the other auror snapped.

"Hey, you can't talk to him like that!" Blaise started, angry on Draco's behalf.

"Shush Death Eater scum. We don't care what you've got to say."

"Then, at the very least, you should care what I have to say," Harry hissed, standing up to his full height. Both aurors straightened slightly.

"Mr. Potter. Pardon us, we didn't see you there."

Harry threw them a disgusted glare before reaching into his cloak pocket and removing a stack of photographs. He threw one at the men. "Here. It shows her falling. Now leave."

The two Aurors stared at the moving photo and then up at Draco. "I see." They turned and stalked away.

"That was bloody disgusting," Harry seethed.

"Welcome to the life of a marked Death Eater."

Their conversation was cut short by a tired-looking healer approaching them. "You can come back to her room, Mr. Malfoy. I understand you're recently engaged?"

Draco started and then nodded. "Yes."

"Good. You're listed as her next of kin – well, her only kin. You're responsible for all medical decisions if she is unable to voice her wants. You may see her now. Your friends can come too. Follow me."

The men trailed after the healer and entered a large private suite. Draco paused when he found his mother already sitting beside Hermione's bedside. She raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything.

And then he looked at Hermione.

She was in a homeostasis bubble. It glittered around her, keeping her stable and safe. It was dangerous magic and done only in the most severe cases.

Draco felt her heartbeat within his own chest, but the space she occupied in his mind was blank.

"She must have cast a cushioning charm as she fell. It's the only explanation as to why she isn't dead yet."

Draco seized at the word yet. "She's going to die?" He forced out through numb lips.

"No," his mother said gently. "No, she won't, because she isn't coming out of the bubble Draco. If she does, she'll die, but she's safe as long as she's in there."

Draco's mind was whirring, and suddenly he understood with perfect clarity what was going on. He took a step away from everyone in horror. "You can't possibly be telling me you're keeping her alive for the sole reason that as long as she is breathing, so do I? You're not letting her die because of some sick version of love inside your own head?"

The room was silent. Finally, his mom asked, "Do you want her to die?"

"Of course not!" He shouted. "I want my life with her! I want to make good on the damn promise the ring on her finger makes! I want her back!"

"That... that isn't going to happen. She's brain dead. Or at least there's so little activity we can't even register it," the healer said quietly.

"Darling, the only way to keep Hermione is to keep her like this. Otherwise, we lose her completely. And you, too."

Draco knew tears were streaming down his cheeks, but he didn't bother even trying to wipe them away. Suddenly he felt a warm hand on his shoulder. He looked over to find Harry staring at him with tears in his own eyes.

"I've known Hermione for longer than anyone. I know her. And I know she'd want to give you a chance at life, Draco. She wouldn't want to take you down with her."

Draco took a steadying breath. "Can you all leave, please? I want a moment with my fiancée."

Everyone filed ours without complaint. Draco sat beside Hermione as close as he could be without touching the bubble. A son broke through him, and then another. "I'm so sorry, Hermione. Please forgive me."

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Before y'all freak out remember this is a dramione so obviously the story isn't over. Thank you! :)