Chapter Nine: The Marking

An awkwardness permeated the air as Draco stepped after Hermione into their living room.

"So..." he said, staring at his mate. Uncertainty was wafting off her. "We don't have to do this, Hermione."

She glanced up at him, a puzzled expression on her face. "What?"

"I can feel how uncertain you are. We don't have to do anything you aren't comfortable with.

Her expression cleared. "Draco, I'm not uncertain about being marked; I'm just uncertain how to go about it. Nothing we read explained the best way one should go about getting marked."

Draco couldn't help himself – he laughed. At her offended glare, he added, "Hermione, you're thinking too hard about this." He strode to her and grabbed her hand, dragging her behind him into the bedroom. "You're going to want to be laying down for this."

She stood before the bed and nodded, biting her lip. To both Draco's horror and delight, she slowly started stripping. Throwing his hand over his eyes, he cried, "Fuck Hermione! What do you think you're doing?"

"Oh, Draco, calm down. Open your eyes – I'm still wearing my bra and underwear. I'm not naked. And you're going to have to find a place to mark me. The books made it clear it's a different spot for every person. I just felt like fewer clothes would be better."

Draco stared at Hermione unreservedly, taking in every single beautiful inch of her. She was stunning. "Wow," was all he managed to get out.

He watched her blush and purred in satisfaction. Taking a single step forward, Draco stopped. "Are you sure this is what you want, Hermione?"

She nodded.

"No, I need your verbal consent for this, darling. I'm not going to lay a finger on you without it."

Hermione took a deep breath. "It's okay, you can touch me. Just no sex."

Thrilled, his Veela forced him forward faster than the human eye could catch. He lifted Hermione up in his arms and unceremoniously dumped her on the bed. He stripped down to his t-shirt and boxers before climbing back into bed with her. When he was lying next to her, he hesitated.

"What's wrong?" Hermione asked.

Draco coughed, a little embarrassed.

"What is it?"

"Well, umm, I need my fangs out to mark you, and well, you see, the only way I know of that will make that happen is if I'm... well... you know..." he trailed off.

Draco watched the light flick on in her big beautiful brain. "Aroused? You need to be aroused?"

He nodded miserably. All he caught was the glimpse of the determination on her face before Hermione launched herself at him, pressing her lips firmly to his.

Draco moaned in ecstasy and pulled Hermione on top of him. She tasted so sweet – he could stay here and taste her for eternity, and he still wouldn't have his fill. He nipped at her bottom lip, and she groaned, sending a shiver through both of them. Vaguely he realized he was purring loudly, but he didn't care. It wasn't embarrassing when she was in his arms, when his whole world was safe and sound and kissing him senseless.

His right hand lightly skimmed down her side, resting his hand on her hip. Hermione pushed against him as if trying to get closer. Gladly obliging, he pulled her closer still.

Suddenly he felt a tingling in his mouth, and he knew his fangs were starting to come down. He flipped Hermione onto her back, never breaking their kiss. When his fangs were fully down, he pulled back. Meeting her eyes, he asked as he flashed his fangs, "Are you ready?"

Hermione looked somewhat apprehensive at the question but nodded.

Draco kissed her forehead and rained tiny kisses down her cheek and lower until he got to the crook of her neck. He nipped lightly, and she gasped. No, this spot was lovely, but it wasn't the place. He kissed lower still until he hit the area right above her heart. Also wonderful, but not where he needed to mark her.

He sat back in between her legs and gazed down at his mate. She was absolutely the loveliest thing he had ever seen. "Do you trust me?"

Hermione was silent for so long that Draco was getting ready to leave when she whispered, "Yes."

"Then trust me, okay? I'm not going to do anything to you." He took her legs and gently spread them open before laying back down and taking her right thigh gently in his hands. He pressed a kiss to the inner thigh. "Are you ready?"

He couldn't see Hermione nod, but he felt her determination and underneath it all, a small flicker of trust. He vowed he would never give Hermione a reason to fear him before biting down, sinking his fangs into her flesh.

Instantaneously Hermione began writhing. Draco panicked and thought it was in pain before realizing the only emotion he was getting from her was pleasure. The moment he pulled away from her, his fangs retracted into his skull with an unsettling pop.

Gathering Hermione, who was now moaning, up into his arms, Draco threw the blankets over them. He knew Hermione would be out for a minimum of 12 hours while her body adjusted to the Veela venom, but he still started counting the minutes, terrified his other half wouldn't wake up.

After several minutes she settled down and curled up into him. Draco lay there and held his mate, waiting for her to wake up. There was no way he'd get even a moment's rest tonight.