Chapter Twenty-One: The Burrow

They stepped out of the fire into the silent living room at the Burrow, still holding hands. Draco felt Hermione try to pull her hand away, but he held firm. He glanced around them. Harry and Ginny were smiling warmly, but everyone else seemed put out. George was frowning, along with Bill and Charlie. Fleur was looking between Hermione and Draco, a small crease between her brows. Arthur wasn't frowning, but he was gazing sternly at Draco. Ron looked like he was about to jump across the room and attack if Mrs. Weasley hadn't been keeping a firm hold on his shoulder.

Only Ginny and Harry looked genuinely happy to see the pair with Ginny leaping up off the couch and running over, hugging first Hermione and then Draco. He hugged her back tightly as she whispered, "Don't worry, I'll protect you two." She kissed his cheek, and Ron made a strangled noise from the couch.

Harry wasn't far behind Ginny, hugging Hermione and shaking Draco's hand. When he stepped back, the room was silent. Draco could feel Hermione's anger mounting with every second of silence, and he knew she was about to explode. Leaning down, he whispered in her ear, "Maybe I should leave so you can enjoy yourself."

"NO!" Everyone in the room jumped. With her hands on her hips, Hermione rounded on the Weasleys. Draco slunk backward to step out of range of Hermione's soon-to-be waving arms. "You all have been my magical family since first year, and I love you all dearly. I thought you all loved me too, but apparently, I'm mistaken."

George cut her off. "It's not you, it's -."

"Don't you dare finish that sentence, George Fabien Weasley." George sank deeper into the armchair he was in. "I want to make it abundantly clear that Draco is a part of my life and always will be. If you can't accept him for my sake, as my other half, then you can't accept me at all. The last thing I want to do is go back through this grate, but I will if Draco isn't welcome here." She glared hard at everyone in the room in turn, her eyes lingering on Ron.

Mrs. Weasley started and released her grip on Ron's shoulder. She hurried forward, worrying her hands. "Of course we accept him, sweety. How could we not?" She embraced first Hermione, and then to Draco's great surprise, she hugged him. He felt the approval flash through Hermione's mind, and he hesitantly patted Mrs. Weasley's back.

When she pulled back, Fluer was waiting right behind her to kiss both of their cheeks. "So good to have another Veela in the family," she told Draco.

He flashed her a relieved grin. "Glad I'm not the only one."

She winked at him and then turned to usher her husband forward. Bill grasped Draco's hand almost too tightly. "Hermione is my little sister." Draco nodded – Bill didn't need to say anything else.

Charlie was next, slapping Draco on his back all together too hard, and then George sauntered over. He stood over the pair, taller even than Draco's 6'2" stature. Draco could feel Hermione's rising trepidation at the twin's continued silence. Finally, he spoke. "I always liked you best as a ferret, but I guess I'll have to get used to you as a man. Welcome to the family, mate." He reached out his hand, and Draco grasped it for only a second before withdrawing his hand with a yelp.

"What was that?!"

George smiled wide and showed his hand to the room. A sticker lay stuck to his palm. "New Weasleys' Wizards Wheezes project! Shockingly Delightful Stickers. They'll shock anything they come in contact with!"

The room erupted into laughter, and even Draco had to admit it was a sly trick. "Be nice, George," Hermione chuckled, hitting his arm.

George seemed to have broken the tension in the room. At least everyone was smiling again, well, everyone except Ron. Draco watched him open his mouth, and he braced for whatever came next, wrapping his arm around Hermione, which seemed to only infuriate the redhead more.