Chapter Twenty-Three: Dinner Date

"Molly, really, we could have gone anywhere – I'm paying. It's my treat," Cissa said for the third time.

The other woman just laughed. "Wait until you've had their breadsticks, then you'll be singing a different tune."

Molly and Cissa sat down across from each other and picked up their menus, each suddenly feeling the awkwardness of the situation.

Clearing her throat, Cissa asked, "What are you getting?"

Molly smiled softly. "I always get the spaghetti and meatballs – it was my brother's favorite."

A pang shot through Cissa. She knew that Molly's brother had died during the first war and she felt distinctly uncomfortable, knowing her husband had been so active on the wrong side. "Molly I don't think I've ever apologized for everything my family put you through. I should have done more."

To Cissa's surprise Molly reached across the table and gripped her hand. "You were doing what you thought was best for your son – if I can understand and forgive anything it's that."

Tears threatened to overflow at the woman's forgiveness, something Cissa never thought she would receive. "Your children are lucky to have you."

Molly colored slightly but was saved by the waiter arriving to take their order. Out of nervousness Cissa ordered a bottle of wine for the table. When it arrived both women took long sips from their glasses.

With the liquid courage warming her stomach Cissa said, "There's one more apology I need to make: I'm so sorry my son was a right arse for all these years."

Molly burst into laughter, surprising Cissa. "We can't control who our children are, or who they pretend to be." She took a sip from her glass. "I have to say I was a bit nervous to have Draco over for Christmas, given everyone's history."

Cissa grimaced. "I hope he behaved himself."

"He was a perfect gentleman," Molly assured her. "I only wish my son had been the same."

"I'm sure this has all been difficult for him," Cissa said.

Molly sighed. "That doesn't excuse his behavior. As her friend he should be happy Draco loves her so much." At Cissa's raised eyebrows Molly continued. "I know a thing or two about Veelas. I know his human side doesn't even need to like her for them to be mated."

"And you think my son likes Hermione?"

Molly gave Cissa a knowing glance. "I don't know if I've ever seen someone as in love as he is. You should have seen him protecting her from Ronald."

"He does have a sweet side to him, not that he shows it very often."

"It's obvious she brings out the best in him. Hermione has that effect on people, it's who she is." Molly couldn't keep the affection from her voice.

"I have to say I'm more than a bit pleased with Draco's mate. She's wonderful. I was afraid he'd be stuck with that horrid Pansy girl." Both women shuddered.

Inspired by their mutual affection for Hermione, the women eased into a conversation where they got to know each other better. Each found that once they'd put aside their preconceived notions, they rather admired the woman before them.

Cissa let out an indelicate snort when Molly finished her story about Fred and George in their younger years. Sobering, Cissa reached across the table and grabbed Molly's hand. "I cannot imagine the pain you're in, having lost a child."

"It's indescribable."

The two women sat in silence for a long moment. Finally, Molly broke the silence. "I've had a wonderful evening. We should do this again."

Cissa smiled warmly. "I would love to, Molly."