Chapter Fifteen: A Girl's Day

Hermione knew Draco had received the reply from his father, if not from his sudden jumpiness, than by the unease that had settled in her mind that was not her own. As much as she wanted to ask him about it, she figured he'd tell her when he was ready.

            Staring into the mirror, Hermione bit her lip. She was wearing a warm emerald jumper Draco had lent her and a pair of black jeans underneath.

            "I don't know why you're so concerned; your cloak is going to cover your outfit."

            Hermione turned to scowl at the blond in her doorway. "This is your MOTHER Draco."

            "I know who she is; she gave birth to me. And she's your someday mother-in-law, so get used to these little outings." He twirled his wand in his lithe fingers. It was mesmerizing, at least it would have been had Hermione not been panicking.

            "I completely forgot about that," she muttered through numb lips.

            Sensing her distress, Draco walked into the room and turned Hermione back towards the mirror, standing behind her so he could see what she saw. "First, green looks amazing on you. You should wear it more often. Second, you look absolutely gorgeous." He kissed the top of her head. They hadn't locked lips since their first night back, but Draco was prone to give her little kisses like this. It always made Hermione feel warm. "Third, you have absolutely nothing to worry about from my mother."

            "How can you say that! I'm nothing like you all!"

            Meeting her gaze in the mirror, Draco said, "And thank god for that. You're infinitely better than any of us, any fool could see it, and my mother is no fool. If it makes you feel any better, as my mate, she's already decided to like you."

            Turning so she could bury her head in Draco's chest, she asked his shirt, "Promise?"

            "I promise, darling."

            "Okay." Hermione pulled back. "Let's go."

            The walk down to Hogsmead went by much faster than it ever had before. Before she knew it, she was standing in front of the Three Broomsticks, where it had been determined that Hermione would meet Narcissa.

            Taking a deep breath, Hermione entered and almost instantly found the elegant blonde sitting at a table in the corner. Using up all her courage, Hermione forced one foot in front of the other until she was standing next to the older woman. "Ma'am?"

            Narcissa jumped from her seat, and before Hermione could process what was happening, she was wrapped in a warm hug. As quickly as it started, it stopped. Hermione blinked.

            "Sit, sit. Butterbeer?"

            Hermione just nodded, noticing that Narcissa was sipping on what appeared to be firewhiskey. Maybe she was just as nervous as Hermione was. Once she had her drink, Hermione turned her attention to Narcissa. "Mrs. Malfoy, thank you for inviting me out."

            "Please call me Cissa. The only person who ever calls me Narcissa or Mrs. Malfoy is Draco's father."

            "Alright, Cissa." The name felt strang and bulky on her tongue. "If you don't mind me asking, what am I doing here?"

            To Hermione's surprised, Cissa laughed a high tinkling sound. Nothing like her sister's laugh. "I hope you're as forward with Draco. He needs the challenge. I'm here because whether or not you know it, you need me. It's only a bonus that we're going to be family someday soon."