Chapter Forty-Eight: Ron

Something had been tickling the back of Hermione's mind, and she couldn't figure out what it was. About a week after they'd moved in together Hermione was finally unpacking the rest of her stuff that had so kindly been kept and she came across a picture of her and Harry and... Ron. It clicked in her brain.

Still holding the picture Hermione padded softly to Draco's office. She stood in the doorway staring at him in adoration as he worked. He and Blaise had opened up an apothecary in Diagon Alley, and they'd since grown it into a multimillion galleon company. She couldn't have been prouder of them.

"What do you need darling?" Draco asked not looking up from his letter.

Hermione hesitated before asking, "What happened to Ron?"

Draco paused and set down his quill. He looked up, pushed his chair back from his desk, and motioned to his lap. Hermione came over and settled herself in him lap. His arms wrapped around her and he rested his head on hers. She could hear his heart beating comfortingly.

"He was released the fourth year you were unconscious."

"What happened to him?"

"His family have still disowned him but lately they've been open to talking to him. He lives in a small cottage in Holly Cove by himself. He's kept a very low profile."

"How do you know all this?" Hermione asked.

Draco shrugged. "I keep tabs." He paused and added, "I also go to see him occasionally."

Hermione straightened in surprise. "Why would you do that?"

Draco was quiet and Hermione knew he was thinking about how to answer her. "At first I thought I was going there for revenge because I was still so mad he stole from what little time I had with you. But he's changed - he's done wonderful with his therapy and rehabilitation. He genuinely feels terrible for what he did. And he's just so broken there's no way to hate him - he won't get his wand back until it's been 10 years.."

"Does Harry visit him?"

"He's come with me once or twice. I don't know if Potter will ever get over what Ron did to you, but he's trying. They're trying to mend their friendship."

Bracing herself for a rejection, Hermione said, "I want to visit him. Alone."

To her surprise all Draco said was, "I'll arrange it."

"What?" she couldn't help but ask.

"I know what you're capable of with a wand. You'll be just fine. Besides, he won't hurt you again. He still loves you, you know. I feel sorry for the man."

The next day found Hermione walking down the path Draco had indicated. He was in town at the pub with Harry, and had kissed her soundly when they'd parted. "Don't fall back in love with him," Draco whispered in her ear as they separated to the retching sounds of Harry.

"Not a chance," Hermione smiled at her fiance.

Walking around the curve in the path, Hermione stopped. Ron was sitting in his front garden on a stone bench, staring off into nothing. Hermione took another step forward and cleared her throat.

Ron started, his eyes getting wide and glassy when he saw her. He stood abruptly like he was going to run to her, and then stopped himself. "Hermione."

"Ron."

"I can't believe you actually came."

Hermione shook her curls. "Of course I did. Did you not read Draco's letter?" She expected some type of disgust at Draco's name, but there was none. Ron just nodded absently.

"I still can't believe you're awake. Come, come, let's go inside. I'll make tea."

Hermione followed him inside. The cottage was small, but clean, much to her surprise. She sat at the kitchen table and watched Ron bustle around the kitchen competently. He used to not be able to boil water without magic.

"So..." Hermione started. "You knew that I was in the hospital, not traveling the world?"

Ron nodded. "Draco told me the truth."

"Why?"

Ron shrugged. "Because he thought it was important that I know." He pushed a mug over to her and sat across from her.

"I still don't understand how all this happened, Ron. You were my best friend."

Sighing, Ron leaned back in his chair. "I loved you. I still love you, actually. I don't think I'll ever stop loving you. It's something I've had to work through and accept with my counselor. And I was sick with rage. When Pansy approached me talking about the best way to hurt Draco I was blinded by my hatred of the man and ignored how painful her plan would be to you. I was too focused on hurting Draco. I thought I hated both of you. I was wrong. I regret what I did, and I hope before we die of old age you'll forgive me, Hermione. I understand if you never want to speak to me again, just know that I would go back and change my role in the situation if I could."

Hermione sipped her tea, letting his words soak into her. This was the Ron she'd grown up with, the one she'd always loved as a brother. "All those years I was in the hospital I was stuck in my head. I had time to think and consider everything. I've already forgiven you, Ron." She reached across the table and grabbed his hand. "I hope someday we can be friends again. And I'm proud of you for working through your issues with a trained professional."

Ron squeezed her hand, his eyes filled with tears. "You are too good for any of us, Hermione."

She smiled softly. "Not true. Now why don't we go down to the pub where Harry and Draco are waiting and have a nice time, okay?"

Hesitation crossed his face. "I don't think Harry will want to see me. Last time he decked me."

A surprise laugh from her caught they both off guard. Hermione cleared her throat. "It'll be fine. Draco and I are there."

Ron rolled his eyes. "I can't believe I've seen he day were the ferret would stick up for me."

"People change. Now let's go."

They walked arm in arm back to the pub. Entering together, Draco's eyes immediately found hers, the small crease between his brows the only proof of his unease. It immediately cleared when he saw her smile.

The duo walked over to the boys, and Harry stiffened. Hermione stood in between Harry and Ron. "Harry, you know I love you more than anything. But I've forgiven Ron, Draco's forgiven him, and it's time you forgive him as well. It doesn't mean everything goes back to how it was before, but we can start something new."

"Okay," Harry grumbled, sticking out his hand for Ron to shake. Hermione stared warmly at their clasped hands, before going around the table and sitting next to Draco. He slung his arm around her shoulders and kissed her cheek. "You're amazing," he whispered into her ear. "And I love you more than you'll ever know."